I have this friend.

Really, I have this friend she has a 5mos old, she going to school, working, and her DH is in Iraq. She's been real strong and doing great. Her DH just left 2 weeks ago after a 2 week visit. Now she's very sad, she calls me crying and she feels overwhelmed. She said she wished her DH didn't visit because it made her realize what they are both missing. I'm worried about her and I told her to make an appointment with her doctor and explain what she's going through. Do you think there is anything a doc can do for her or am I wasting her time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Health

• this is what military wives go through. what she need is her friends and family and lots of support. ppl dont understand how hard it is. if she's not suicidal, if she's not neglecting her children or herself then she doesn't need a doctor, pills arent going to change the fact that her husband is in iraq. just general speaking how would u ladies feel if ur husband left for 6month or more to a dangeous country, ur left all by urself to do the job of 2 parents on top of that have the stress of not knowing whether u are going to have 2 military men in uniform come to your door and deliver some very bad news. on top of that if u live on base where there are no close family u can go to. its very stressful, obviously u are her friend and u care for her. just keep cheering her up and let her know he'll be back soon
    CubanFIre

Answer by CubanFIre at 2:03 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Doctors can do all sorts of things to help. I honestly think you gave her good advice and I think it's great that you are lending her an ear-sometimes that's all a person needs, is a good listener. I think you are being a great friend:)
    Anonymous

• its just the normal ups and downs in life, the doc may suggest an anti depressant...but your friend just has to keep on plugging through, her husband and her will be together again. And be there to support her, that's the best thing.
    Anonymous

• That's the normal ups and downs of being a military wife...I assume she is one. Anyways, they will have her make an appt. to talk to someone about it all, probably. You did good telling her to talk to her Dr.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 12:31 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• CubanFlre...I am a Navy wife, and talking to a Dr. is going to help because they will refer her to a counselor who she can see face to face and talk to confidentially. She doesn't need to be neglectful or suicidal to have someone to talk to. Sometimes, friends especially ones who aren't going through just can't get it. A counselor will know better how to handle it.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 2:14 PM on Feb. 26, 2009