Whst to do?

I jsut got a puppy for my daughters birthday.. Pinchy is about 2 months and not trained at all. I am trying to paper train her cuz it is way to cold outside for a tiny dog. The problem is that I will put pinchy in the box.. and she will sit there for hours without any sort of bowl movement but as soon as I take her out, theres a puddle on the floor..am I doing something wrong ? am I supposed to just leave her in the box until she cant hold it anymore ??

NicoleCoderre

Asked by NicoleCoderre at 12:26 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Pets

• My girls, boxers, will not go in any confined space. They will hold it if the are in their kennels. Dogs are very aware of where their space is. They will not go in a space that they spend any length of time. My suggestion would be to take the paper out of the box and put in in a place that is away from the food as well. If she happens to have an accident on the floor without the paper use the paper to clean it up and put it back where you would like it to go. And set her on it. Thay way she then feels it ok to go in that area. Good luck to you. And congrats on the new addition to the family.
    lindze0226

Answer by lindze0226 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I have never heard of putting the paper in the box, dogs usually consider small spaces like that to be their den/home/personal space and will do their extreme best to not "go" in such an area. Personally I would put the pad on the floor and when you see her/him go potty you immediatly pick her up and put her on the pad. It may take a week or so but if you are consistant it will work. Also remember that 3 or so min after they eat they have to "go" and as soon as they wake up they have to "go". Our dog is 15 weeks old and we still take her out to go potty every 2 hours unless she is sniffing around the floor a lot and then we take her out then. It is diff with each pup but the basics are the same. GL.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:54 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• ok well I cant just a pad on the floor... I have a 1 year old walking around and she does have a den to home to sleep in. This puppy also does not have a consistancy, she does not pee/ poop in the morning and will wait between 1-4 hours to go after eating. and she sniffs at everything so i never know when she is doing something until its alrready done, nad even if I catch her half way and put her in the desinated spot she will hold it...
    NicoleCoderre

Answer by NicoleCoderre at 2:39 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• She is small now. When she is older are you going to want her peeing on what ever is in that spot. Take her outside she is a dog they have fur. Keep her i the crate for a while, Let her OUTSIDE, if she goes to the bathroom give her playtime inside with the kids. Put her back in the crate after a short while. This process takes no more then 1-3 days. I live in Central NY. It is cold here, but our puppies go outside after they are 8 weeks old. I have a lab which is 5 years old. Since I trained him he has only had 2 accidents. One was when we got stuck in a snow storm and he was in the house all night the other was when he was really sick. Dogs are creatures of habit. If you teach them right the first time it will never be a problem.
    connietrrll

Answer by connietrrll at 2:41 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• try this site..housebreakingMypuppy.com There are other sites to get info about differnt ways to house break your pet. Get some information to help you out so you can implant your pup the right way. I never personly used pads before. But there is info out there. All my dogs go outside, and I have a doggy door for new and old to use. Special area to go potty is very inportant for imprinting your pet. So hope you find the best answer for your issue, and congrads with your new puppy.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 2:47 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• for little dogs, the paper thing dont work.. we tried with my dogs for months and they were too dumb to figure it out.. its easier to train them to go outside, no matter how cold it is.. then you can get a doggy door at home depot or lowes and you teach it to go in and out and you're set.. my idiot dogs caught on somewhat quickly
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 6:23 PM on Feb. 26, 2009