Is it ok to have a lot of children if you don't have a lot of money?

We are not dirt poor or anything - we get by. Things are tight, but everyone is clothed, fed, with a reasonable amount of books and toys. Our girls are 7, 4, and 2. My husband wants to have one more baby. My question is - Is it fair to the other children to have another baby when we know that money will be really tight?

mommyonetheedge

Asked by mommyonetheedge at 12:32 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• If you can make it work without skipping out on basic needs its just fine. If you and your husband get along just fine in tight financial situations its fine as well. GL =)
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 12:34 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• It depends. Can you love, care for and provide the basic necessities for all of them, if you have a new addition? That's the important thing.. if you couldn't provide basic necessities then I would say it wasn't fair. We are having a second, and money will be tight, but not to the point where our children lack in food, clothing, shelter, etc. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I personally wouldn't do it, but everybody is different. You really don't NEED all of the material things or a trip every year. I just like to have those things and I like to have a big savings account.
    I would also like to be able to pay for my children's college education.

If you can afford the children and they are properly taken care of then go for it:)
    Anonymous

• if the two of you know you can make it work then its fine. i think only you two can make that choice no one on here can.
    Anonymous

• As long as your kids don't get stressed about the financial situation.
    lilnivy

Answer by lilnivy at 12:37 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• If you can provide the basic necessities, and your kids won't be doing without, then I don't see why not. They don't need all the extra stuff, they just need love, food, clothing, and shelter.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 12:37 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I believe that as long as a family can provide the basics and lots of love and care for their kids, then have as many as you want! If it means going on welfare or other assistance because you know you can't afford to raise another, then I think it is irresponsible, but that is just me....
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:41 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I think it's fine if you can continue to support the children you already have and another one. If you feel it's going to strap you, I wouldn't do it because finacial problems lead to stress and it's already hard enough to raise young children sometimes, you don't need the addition of financial stress.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 12:41 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• by putting your family first, you need to understand your resources. There should be foresight of emergencies. There should be some left over from each paycheck, and you should have at least two thousand dollars of emergency cash available for your family. If you are close to your financial limits, don't test fate by putting your (your husband's) personal desires over the needs of your current family.

by putting your family first, you must put money first. It's the wise thing to do.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 12:51 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Sure. As long as you can provide what your kids need -- and even if you have to have help in the short-term (been there, done that --- I think most of us have).

You never know what the future holds. Could get better, could get worse. Sit down and figure out a back-up plan if your source of income disappears.

Then again, the future could hold better times, too.

A few years ago, we were struggling hard. Expecting baby #3 with an infant & a preschooler & skimming by on less than $1600/mo. It was TIGHT. We didn't know how we were going to do it. But we did. That was about 5 yrs ago --- 2 yrs ago I had baby #4 & last month I paid off the house. :-)
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 26, 2009