How do you handel a 3 yr olds whininess?

Our 3 yr old likes to whine about everything! We are trying to teach her to talk and ask in her normal voice. What do/did you do when this happened? Do you ignore, try to talk to her and show her how to talk, what? Help!

jem102675

Asked by jem102675 at 12:38 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Tell her that you cannot understand her when she whines and she needs to use her big girl voice. Then don't respond other than that unless she uses her big girl voice. You have to do it consistently, every single time or she won't stop.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I recommend not giving into her when she whines. If she whines she doesn't get what she's asking for, period. If she asks in a big girl voice then she may get it. Reward the good voice, punish the whiney one.
    Anonymous

• I tell them that the whiny voice hurts my ears, and they need to use their big boy/girl voice. Everytime they whine I just ask them "I cant hear you, try using your big kid voice". and after awhile they get used to it.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:47 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I swear my son whined until his voice changed when he was 12! SO ANNOYING! I just constantly made him repeat in a nonwhining voice, I asked the Pediatrician how to make it stop and he said well there are whiny adults don't you think they were whiny kids? Well yeah but i cannot stand it!
    Anonymous

• Just keep teaching her how to speak using her manners and don't respond until she can. Gentle reminders and practice work best. Eventually, you'll get to a point where if she whines, you just say "manners, please" and she'll be able to rephrase her request. It just takes time and patience on your part for her to learn how to remember to speak without whining.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:47 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I finally got my 3 year old out of it. Everytime he would whin I would tell him I can't hear him when he whins, I will listen to him when he talked to me like a big boy. It takes time but it worked.
    m_allen

Answer by m_allen at 10:15 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• DIDO::::::: kemclaughlin
    ramirezmami

Answer by ramirezmami at 2:05 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Never give her what she wants when she whines. Say to her, "Ask me nicely in your talking voice."
    momo8child

Answer by momo8child at 3:44 AM on Mar. 6, 2009