How do I make bedtime and naptime easier on me and my 2 yr old daughter?

She is contantly making a fit to go to sleep. I try to rock her and read to her, but it doesnt work. I feel bad cause I hear her calling for me and crying, but when I do go to her, she just wants to get up and play. I even try telling her that we will go to the park the next day or play outside if she'll just go to sleep. I know she understands me because she makes related remaks, or repeats it... What do I do?

shirli332

Asked by shirli332 at 12:57 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, when you mention an activity to a child, they want to do it NOW. Not tomorrow, not under certain condtions, NOW. So I would drop that habit until she is at least 6.

Then, is her nap time and bedtime too late? If she is overtired, she will fight sleep for all she's worth. She needs anywhere from 11 to 14 hours of sleep a day. If her behavior in the late afternoon and evening is awful, if she has dark circles under her eyes, then she's not getting enough.

And as you've found, she's old enough to realize that the world (and all the fun stuff to do) keeps going when she's asleep. She calls for you and crys because she knows it's her ticket out of bed and back to her toys and your company. You might try telling her that you will be back in a few minutes to check on her and just keep doing that (a little longer each time) until she falls asleep. Getting her up will only reinforce the behavior.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Gosh I wish I could give you some easy advice.. My daughter is 25, when she was around 3 ish, I remember having to stand over her with a paddle, saying, shut your eyes, shut your eyes. Eventually I would lie down next to her and I'd wind up falling asleep, she was always asleep when I got up!! Remember, patience. They never go off to college still fighting sleep!!! LOL
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2009