What has happened to education in this country?

Sorry but I am getting really frustrated by the lack of education shown by some of the people on this site. Ignorance really must be bliss because some people are living it.

We are a nation of uneducated fools and those without an education are the one's speaking the loudest. It's about time those of us with an education and who know our true history and can research beyond the propoganda sites and internet stand up and speak out.

I am disguisted by the state of education in this country. Kids leaving schools cannot read or even think. And forget about actually writing a paper of their own words. Kids don't even know that plagarism is wrong (my husband is a college professor, you should see what he gets handed!).

Snide remarks and snarky comments may sound great but really only prove the ignorance of the one posting.

So, how do we improve education so that people actually research before they speak ignorance?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Juliansmommy317 makes a valid point. There is a big difference between someone without solid educational opportunities and someone who's just plain ignorant. The problem on CM and with social networking sites in general, is that the ignorant feel compelled to spout off as if their uninformed or misunderstood versions of reality are accurate. This should not be confused with the intelligent, informed commenter who may or may not have received a good education and/or attended some duration of higher education through our nation's colleges, universities, and trade schools. Frankly, some of the dumbest people I know are also the best educated. :)

To answer your question though, in my mind, schools are a tool. I may not be able to teach my children all they need to learn - but I sure as heck will make it clear that they are to take the opportunities offered them and make the most of them! too many parents don't do that.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:51 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I don't know how to change it in adults but as for the education system in our town...our school ranks VERY high and is a wonderful learining experience. I think what is falling flat are the parents who just expect the schools to do it all and they don't have to do a thing. We are very involved in our children's education and always will be.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 1:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Not sure where you went to school, but mine covered it thoroughly. That's why it's so easy to see right through Pelosi and Obama's rhetoric and know exactly which key phrases to google and find the full story they omit when they talk about their grand plans and ideas.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• i think its not fair to use this site as a representative sample of the whole nation ;] but i agree about the kids and school, teachers are underpaid and overworked :[
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:02 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• NotPanicking..Way to take an innocent question and flip it into politics. God SHUT UP ABOUT IT ALREADY, the poster was talking about education...not Obama.
    Anonymous

• The state of our schools is why I homeschool my children. My husband is in school for his PhD and he's a teaching assistant. He has had to turn students in for plagarism too! They copy and paste directly from some website and don't even know that it is wrong!

I feel sorry for teachers today. They are overworked, underpaid and have to deal with parents who think it is the schools responsibility to teach their kids when the first, last and best teachers are the parents.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 1:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• People think it's okay to pay babysitters more then our Professional Teachers and ECE Majors. ...that's what happend to education in America.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Well....If you are talking about educating our children then "we" as parents have that responsibility. I feel like it is mostly our own fault if we are not educated. It doesn't matter who you are or where you come from If you WANT to learn then you can. Educate yourself if your parents or your school didn't. But, I don't think that it is always that these people are ignorant I think maybe it is that especially with politics it doesn't matter what you say if someone doesn't agree with you, their  opinion is not going to change and that is when the snide comments come out..

Anonymous

• You cant stop people from expressing their opinion. Educated or not. I do have an education, i have my bachelors in Political Science and i follow the news(t.v newspaper,internet) to stay informed. As far as education in general, i think that parents need to motivate their children to stay in school. Dropping out of school was never an option for me, I honestly don't know why some kids drop out of school and give no thought to their future.
    tish0607

Answer by tish0607 at 1:06 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I am Peeved about education also. I am 23 and I did graduate high school and had a year of college. But, I couldn't correctly write a college (or hs for that matter) english paper for the life of me...I never remember being taught the correct way to..And...secondary education math teacher I had were never willing to help explain things...so that is one of the reasons I am holding back from going any further with college...that and also the cost.
    Briyawna

Answer by Briyawna at 1:12 PM on Feb. 26, 2009