Can you be discharged from the Navy for having a panic attack?

My brother had one yesterday. He is a MP. He has been in the Navy since he graduated high school in 2000. He loves his job but the things he has seen are horrific.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• my husband is a mp but for the airforce and so was I. From what we know and seen, he'll probably be put on a profile, while the doctors figure out what's wrong with him and work with him with meds if he needs any. he wont be able to carry his weapon (which is a big thing for cops) he'll probably be working backoffice, simple jobs. if it progressives and if he cant do a complete 8hr shift (i know they are longer for mp) the navy will consider giving him a medical discharge where they will give him disability pay but he'll have to go up before a board if things get that far.
    CubanFIre

Answer by CubanFIre at 1:31 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• You can be discharged for psychological problems. If it escalates and if he has PTSD, they may attempt to treat him first, but if he has severe psychosis, they could discharge him.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:27 PM on Feb. 26, 2009