• In the Spotlight:

my son is addicted to tv..

he sleeps with me at night, and i can't sleep without the tv on.. so he has gotten used to that. when i put him to bed we lay and watch nick at nite for a while until he falls asleep, and in the morning he watches cartoons for about an hour before even getting out of bed. same thing with his naps, he'll watch tv before and after his nap. am i starting him on a bad habit? or is this okay?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 1:44 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like alot of t.v. to me, but everybody is different. If he is going to watch alot of t.v. look into the einstein dvds or other educational programs so he is learning at the same time. No offense, but spongebob isn't the best thing for young kids, LOL! Good luck!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 1:47 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• if he has a tv in his room then just take it out. Make up good reason and do it.My 3 year old love spongebob! No its not the best but I let him watch what he likes. THis is s difficult problem. You got him in trouble now. Bring him to a healthy amount of TV slowly.

Good Luck
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 1:53 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• sounds like to me, yes you are starting him on a bad habit..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:55 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My son watches Nick Jr. almost all day while playing in the living room. I don't think it harms him, but I recently heard a study that said kids who are around his age (2) who watch TV have problems with delayed speech skills. I don't know if that is true, since he seems to be progressing fine. I think he even knows more stuff because of those shows.

If you're not comfortable, just cut it back a bit. Maybe start playing CD's or the radio instead for the noise.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 2:19 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My son likes to watch cartoons but he only watches a few minutes at a time then he goes an plays for along time. I dont think it harms him .And alot of the shows he likes to watch are educational.
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 2:43 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Personally, I think that's too much tv. Try giving him books to look at instead. If you need the sounds of the TV on to sleep maybe cover it with a blanket so he isn't tempted to stare at it for hours.... My 6 year old is allowed an hour and a half of TV per day - I think that's plenty. He's got tons of other toys and books he can play with...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 2:45 PM on Feb. 26, 2009