Advice on stage 3 foods?

My son will be 9 months this week and still shows no interest in eating chunky foods. I've tried lazagna a few times and he makes gaging faces and spits out the noddle chunks. Should I push it or keep feeding him stage 2?

I've tried giving him chopped up ripe banana to eat with his hands too. But he just doens't get the idea of eating thsi way.

HighCntryMom82

Asked by HighCntryMom82 at 1:45 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A lot of kids wont eat stage three foods. My son wanted nothing to do with him ( I dont blame him). Offer him soft table food more often, show him what to do with it, he'll get the idea.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:53 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I never used the stage 3 foods. We went from stage 2 to table foods cut up into small pieces. We started with softer things first, and then moved onto things like chunks of meat, crackers, raw vegetables, etc... But my son rejected pretty much everything except stage 2 foods, gerber oatmeal, and yogurt until he was about 15 months old. He wasn't off the baby food until 18 months. Some kids just take longer than others. Kepp offering a variety of textures and tastes, but don't push it. Offer the new food first when he's good and hungry, and when he tries it and rejects it give him something you know he'll like. You'll be happier in the long run if you can keep meal times happy and care free for your little one.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 2:11 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• We never used stage 3 either. I think it's almost harder because a lot if it is pureed with chunks in it. The baby is like- okay- pureed or chunks- make up your mind!!!! We just feed her baby food and then cut up small soft things for her to eat. She loves cheese, canned peaches and pears and those Gerber Graduate Wagon Wheels. My policy is: The baby food and bottles are for the nutrition- the finger foods are for her to learn how to eat and try new things. So just introduce new things and don't push it too much!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 2:50 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I'd say skip stage 3 and go straight to table foods, but I'd start with things that are really bland like soft toast pieces, cheese, smushed banana on toast is a great way to get both in...... , rice, peas, etc.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 3:46 PM on Feb. 26, 2009