What are ways your 3-5 year olds help out around the house?

2mothershelpers

Asked by 2mothershelpers at 1:50 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My DS is 4 and DD is 3. They love to help around the house. Especially since we started their responsibility charts. They do alot around the house. They will pick up their toys in the living room and their bedrooms. They pick up dirty laundry and fold and put away their clean clothes. Help load and unload the washing machine and dryer. Set and clear the table, loading their dishes in the dishwasher. They do things as they are interested in them. They help me cook and DS loves to vacuum and sweep. In nicer weather he collects and sorts the recycling. They'll help shovel snow, garden and bring the groceries in. They are not expected to do anything of this they voluntarily do it for now. But I like to take advantage of teaching them responsibilities.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:08 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My DD 4 1/2 will make her bed, my bed, put her clothes in her hamper, put her clothes in the wash, help fold clothes , she will set the table....
    she is still learning and is such a big help.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:53 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My 3 year old likes to bring me the diaper when I'm changing his little brother. He also likes to help me load the dryer and carry the groceries in.
    Anonymous

• my DS is 3yo. He picks up his own toys in his bedroom as well as those in the living room. He likes to help unload and load the dishwasher. Sometimes he helps me clean the bathroom. He also likes to clear the table.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:58 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I have a 2yo and a 4yo. They like to set the table and they have to put their dishes in the sink. They clean their rooms when told to and they put away their laundry. They also love to clean the bathtub! They have asked a bunch of times if they could vacuum, but i don't think they can handle the vacuum yet.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 2:04 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• my son will be two next month and he helps me with laundry... he loves putting things in and out the washer and dryer... then he will hand me things to fold... he also will throw things in the trash...thats why we cant leave papers around because he will think its trash if they are laying around.... we also have him clean up all his toys right before bed...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My 3 and a half yr old son loves to help put groceries away. He also stands at the washer and lets me hand him each and every item that has been washed and he puts them into the dryer. He feels like such a big boy. Granted, it takes me 5 times as long to get these jobs done now days but hey, little moments ya know?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:21 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My 3 year old helps with:
    loading and unloading the dishwasher
    loading and unloading the washer/dryer
    folding towels
    putting away his clothes (He does most of it.)
    picking up toys
    getting things for me from other rooms
    clearing the table
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:40 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Mine's a little older (6) but he is completely capable of picking up his toys (he keeps most of them in bins so it's pretty simple), sometimes as a punishment we have him pick up sticks in the backyard and put them in a pile (lol), any sort of organizing job is good - like going through his bins and pulling out all the "art supplies" and putting them in once place...I'm not sure if you are actually wanting your child to help out with real chores or just give them some resposibility, but I definitely wouldn't give them any cleaning supplies ;)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 2:40 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• my daughter will be 4 in march and she loves helping me do laundry and dust! she is such a big helper! even if i have to fold something again she knows that im happy she helps and i never tell her she is doing it wrong! we dont want our daughter to think the work she does is not appreciated!

woobie102

Answer by woobie102 at 8:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2009