ready for toddler bed

My son is 14 1/2 months old and he has been jumping alot in his crib and i'm afaird he may get hurt or figure out how to climb but he is already figure out how to climb out of his highchair. So should I put my son in a toddler bed or should I wait. When did you kids go from crib to toddler bed and why?

LoriAnn87

Asked by LoriAnn87 at 2:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We lowered the crib mattress all the way so it's laying on the floor. Our son is 36" tall and the top of the crib is just at his underarms. Once he is tall enough that he can start to lean over the top, it will be time to convert to a toddler bed.
    Could you lay the mattress on the floor? Then you won't have to do a toddler bed so soon.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 2:04 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I'd start by putting your matress on the lowest setting possible. Children can stay in a crib up to age 4 if they fit in it and sleep well in it.
    If he does manage to climb out, try letting him sleep with the rail down (shortens the distance if he does climb/fall out), put pillows/cushions on the floor and a gate at his door so he's safe in his room.
    My twins are 27 mos and still in cribs. I'd prefer to keep them in their cribs until their third birthday but we travel a lot and they don't fit in their pack n plays anymore so they need to learn to sleep in a bed soon.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:46 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• The AAP recommends keeping a child in a crib for as long as possible - even as late as 3 years old. Kids are safer in a crib and feel more secure.

Keep in mind that once he goes into a bed, he'll be free to explore anything he can get to, anytime he happens to wake up. He may start waking up at 2am just to play. And when I say "anything he can get to", I mean it. Babyproofing items are meant to keep infants and young toddlers out of things for the few moments your back is turned or while you run to the bathroom. They will not and are not designed to keep a determined, bored, unsupervised child out of something while you are asleep. When you move him, babyproof as if his life depends on it and find some way to confine him to his room. Secure all tall furniture to the walls (it could tip while he's climbing it), lock the closet door, remove all breakables (glass picture frames, etc).
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:12 PM on Feb. 26, 2009