vicodin and bfing

If you are taking 500 mg of vicodin a day should you give up breast feeding. Does the baby still benifit from it? Doctor says it's okay but i'm nervous about this.. What are the pro's and cons?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Here's how vicodin is rated according to kellymom.com

L3 MODERATELY SAFE:
    There are no controlled studies in breastfeeding women, however the risk of untoward effects to a breastfed infant is possible; or, controlled studies show only minimal non-threatening adverse effects. Drugs should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the infant.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 2:15 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• ... so I guess I would try to contact a lactation consultant. That would probably be the best person to answer your questions.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 2:16 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I don't know. Is there any other med you can take though? I wouldn't take it based on the info on Kellymom.com

Get a second opinion.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:25 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Just once a day? It's fairly safe. If it's only once a day, I'd continue breastfeeding.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• dr hale is the leading researcher when it comes to medications in mother's milk.
    here is a link to what he has to say about vicodin:
    http://66.230.33.248/discus/messages/39/1302.html?1119361565

"In general they are quite safe, but it depends of course on the dose used, and the stability/age of the breastfed infant.

If the doses are not overly high, and the infant is stable, then its quite safe to use them. If the infant is premature, weak, apnic, then I would be cautious and advise the mom to watch the infant closely and keep the dose lower and dosing interval longer.

If the infant is older, say > 4 months, then there is hardly any risk at all.

Tom Hale, Ph.D."
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 2:48 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Not sure what type of pain your in but when I had a C and was BF all the LC's and Doc's said percocet was safe. I think the whole "cet " family is safe. I can go on and on with the pros of BF and if your doc is ok than I don't see any cons.
    A friend of mine was Rx vicodin when she was pregnant after she had gall stones removed.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:57 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• farrahann has a point.
    depending on the kind of pain you are having or the procedure you had done i would look into alternate meds.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 5:24 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• The decision about continuing breastfeeding when the mother takes a drug is far more involved than whether the baby will get any in the milk. It also involves taking into consideration the risks of not breastfeeding, for the mother and the baby. And there are plenty of risks in not breastfeeding, so the question essentially boils down to: Does the addition of a small amount of medication to the mother’s milk make breastfeeding more hazardous than exclusive formula feeding? The answer is almost never. Breastfeeding with a little drug in the milk is almost always safer.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:51 PM on Feb. 26, 2009