Any Advise for traveling to Europe with an almsot 3 yr old?

We are flying to Europe this summer, and it will be the first time our (almost 3 by then) son has flown on a plane. We have driven from Utah to California before and he has done well with that, but im not sure on the plane. Any suggestions of good things to bring to keep him busy would be so helpful. thanks!

23wkrmommy

Asked by 23wkrmommy at 2:13 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Travel

• Buy toys and put them in a bag, save them when he starts to have a melt down, this way you pull out something new an interesting.
    Anonymous

• Yes, new toys or books, a dvd player, walk him up and down the aisles and prepare for the fact he may melt down, lay on the dirty floor, etc! I gave my kids benadryl to sleep part way. It'll be okay. Have fun~
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:16 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• The jet lag/time difference is going to be a problem. I know, because I have been to Germany twice and going back again in April. I am dreading the plain ride and jet lag.

Answer by louise2 at 2:20 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I don't have much advice about the plane ride but I just wanted to give you a warning about the trains. When you are boarding/unboarding on a train, you must be quick. The door will shut on you, so have everything ready and wait at the door to hop off very quickly. My husband and I went on a day trip with a couple and their two children. I was pushing the stroller and we go off first. The couple forgot something so they went back to get it and the door shut and we were separated. Not a fun thing when you are in a different country. What countries to plan on visiting? I have been to 4 European countries so I may have some more suggestions. You can pm me if you would like.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:24 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• thanks!! thats a good idea about new toys, maybe i'll hit up the dollar bins at target see if i can find anything good between now and then. And thanks for the heads up about the trains, thats very good to know! we're going to denmark, norway, paris & london! Luckily we're going with my husbands family who has all traveled a lot.
    23wkrmommy

Answer by 23wkrmommy at 4:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• how about a portable DVD player??? good luck and have fun. At such a young age he will not remember much.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 5:29 PM on Feb. 26, 2009