Is this wrong?

I currently get more than enough in food stamps and don't need all that I have.

My great grandparents, on the other hand, are disabled and can't get squat.

Could I give them some of my food from the food stamps?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• YES, that would be the right thing to do, good for you!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:25 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Legally no, morally yes. You can just do it and not say anything to anyone.
    Anonymous

• Legally no.

Ethically, its questionable.

If they are truely in need, I'd do it anyways. (but not to help out someone who could afford their own food)
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 2:25 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I think you could buy them some food and that would be a little better. I believe it's against the law to distribute any government assistance.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 2:25 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• They are yours to do with as you see fit. They were all given to you since you qualified for them. I assume you didn't misrepresent the amount of people you are trying to feed, etc. to get more, so go ahead and use the extras for G & G. :-)
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 2:25 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• id do it if you dont need it then why not help someone that does most elderly people cant get them because of people that abuse the system (NOT say you are just saying some do )
    Anonymous

• Yes, yes you can. Why would you want to "sit high on the hog" with food overloading your cabinets and watch your great grandparents starve? You should also be over there offering to cook for them if they cannot manage it.
    Is this question for real? Have people lost all understanding and caring for even their own families? My god. You seriously have to ask people on CAFEMOM if you should feed your ailing great grandparents??????????????????
    FYI - people who don't deserve food stamps trade them for drugs everyday. Why should you not use them for something good???
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 2:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• You do what's right by you. If you get too much in food stamps, sharing with someone else is okay- morally. Legally it's not- but you can't help that the Government is biased.
    Anonymous

• You can buy food and take it to them. Be sure to get good nutritous foods that are easy for them to prepare and take into consideration dietary limitations like diabetes, etc. Also make sure there is plenty of variation so they don't get bored eating the same things all the time, and include something for a treat every day or two. Buying them food is legal and saves them the often painful ordeal of shopping once a week or so. They need it too, so it's a moral obligation and you can teach compassion and respect for theelderly to your children as well as helping your great-grandparents.
    Anonymous

• yes you can share and it's not wrong.
    i lived with family when i was pregnant with my first child and we received wic benefits.
    my in-laws wouldn't have qualified for the benefits but we still shared the food with them as we were all living under one roof at the time.

now it would be different, i think, if the people who you were sharing with were not family.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 2:41 PM on Feb. 26, 2009