Quitting smoking with Chantix?

DH has wanted to quit for a while. He has tried cold turkey, patches, gums, everything! Nothing works.
DDs pediatrician told me yesterday that she had a couple come in who stopped using this. Its a prescription. Has anyone tried this?
We dont have insurance so I want to make sure its worth it before we put out the money to send him to the doctor and pay out of pocket for that and the prescription!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Health

• I researched it, but it had some weird side effects. A few of my family members have used laser treatment and it worked. They take a laser and shine it on certain pressure points which release chemicals that give you same sensation that smoking does. It last long enough for your body to rid itself of nicotine completly and then once the "good feeling" starts to wear off you have no more cravings. It cost them around $300 and they swear by it. We are saving our money so my hubby can get it done.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 2:29 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I have heard that one of the side effects is suicide. I don't care what the % is but no we will not be using this.
    Dianneakamommy

Answer by Dianneakamommy at 3:55 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My mom & Uncle were on chantix & quit because they could not funtion on it. My mom & Uncle both found themself forgetting where they were going while driving.. Also my mom is very active, she didnt feel like doing anything & said this is why people quit. the pills make you so lazy you dont want to go to the table to grab your cigs if you are sitting on the couch... My mom said she had really crazy dreams while on the pill too.---Both of them still smoke
    My DH-- on the other hand.. took chantix for about 2-3wks no side effects. He has been smoke free since Feb 14, 2008.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I heard great things but when I tried it, it didn't work for me. Just made me really angry and hateful, even when I was still smoking!
    Hey give it a shot....everyone is different, I met many people who have quit for over a year with it!
    My Doctor had given me a start up package that he had as samples in his office. Maybe if you explain to your doc that you have no insurance he or she can manage the same! Good Luck!
    Allysmom11

Answer by Allysmom11 at 6:57 PM on Feb. 27, 2009