ADULT CHILDREN 21 AND OVER.

What's the age limit you would let them live in your house? I mean if they have a good job and can afford to pay their own way in this world and are completely healthy what is the age they should get out? I'd say by 23 or 24 if they went to college and started a good job.

elainecat

Asked by elainecat at 2:54 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• if my child had other options and could afford a place then i would help them find a home if not they can stay with me until that time comes
    Anonymous

• I think if you want your kids to move out and they are financially able to then you should tell them. Or you could do what happened to a girl I went to school with. Her parent's moved into a smaller house in a less than accessible area for their kids who rely on the bus because they've not gotten their licences yet. They are in their early to mid 20's. One of their kids has since moved out and the other is on her way.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:04 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• When they have bought a car and saved up enough money to rent an apartment.

Why do you say 21,,when kids are legally grown at 18??

Answer by louise2 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• LET'S SAY YOU HAD TWO ADULT CHILDREN, 39 & 45 STILL LIVING AT HOME AND THEY SHOW NO AMBITION ON LEAVING, WOULD YOU LET THEM STAY OR ENCOURAGE THEM TO GET OUT? I THINK IT'S SO DYSFUNCTIONAL AT THOSE AGES AND TO STILL LIVE WITH "MOMMY AND DADDY."
    elainecat

Answer by elainecat at 3:06 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Mine are always welcome in my home but if they have good jobs then theyll be paying bills like on their own either way. I figure that encourages them to go out on their own since it isnt a free ride at moms either.

Answer by gemgem at 3:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My brother, who is 38, still lives at home. My parent's keep complaining that they are going to throw him out. ....been hearing it for years! He pays rent (although it's not much) and basically comes and goes as he pleases. I keep telling my parent's that I hope he's prepared to find himself somewhere to live when they pass because he's not living with me! Anyway, he should have been out on his own years ago.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 3:12 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I don't think there is an age limit. Our daughter lived with her dad and me until she was almost 30. She has some physical limitations. She worked and saved her money until she had enough saved for a down payment on a house. She bought a house and moved out. Shortly thereafter, she met the man who is now her husband and got married. We were delighted to have her. She was thoughtful and considerate, and we saw it as helping her achieve her dreams. Our younger son lived with us longer than most. He did not marry until he was 28. The older son married right after college. We have very good relationships with all of them now, and they are quick to acknowledge our support in their lives. It is a lot harder to make it in this world today, even with a good job. We wanted to help ours until they were able to make it on their own. It paid off for us. They are all doing very well now.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:50 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My kids know that as long as they are acting responsibe, holding jobs or going to school and not treating my home like a flop house then they are always welcome. My son is 23 and moved out at 19. He came back once due to losing his job but was only at our house a few short weeks. Just because they grow up does not mean I stop being their Mom, so I will always be here for them if they need me. Now if they are into drugs or just bumbs then we have an issue.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:22 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• i moved out of my house when i was 22. i had a job i was in a steady relationship and i was ready to make the change. i was happy to go and 3 years later i am not in debt or any of that bad stuf. lol. i would not kick our children out when they are grown. but it will also not be a free ride and they will respect our home.
    john2007

Answer by john2007 at 2:30 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• When it infringes on the privacy of the other party or if someone is being taken advantage of is when others should leave. He/she should be helping pay all house payments and expenses just like any responsible adult

Answer by admckenzie at 10:17 PM on Feb. 27, 2009