How do I get my almost 7 month old to eat anything other than breast milk from me (not to mention he won't take a bottle either)?

MyLove

Asked by MyLove at 3:12 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wish I knew what to tell you! I'm sorry he's being such a stinker. Maybe he's just not read for food yet? Does he watch Manny eat?
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 3:17 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• dont give him any when you get up pull out the food and he will eat the milk is filling him up my ped told me to give them food and AFTER food milk
    cielo1

Answer by cielo1 at 3:19 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• my son wouldnt take a bottle either. american acad. of ped. says you dont really need to intriduce solid foods until 9 months. My daughter was different and she started at 6 mos. but my son was not intrested and it was frustrating, I tried a week or 2 then I just stuck with nursing and him having gerber cookie things until he was almost 9 moths. as soon as I started the solids then, he was totally into it. I just think all babies are different. your probably wasting more food then he's eating. just take a break for awhile & try again in a few weeks.
    good luck
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 3:21 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• i have the same problem. have you figured out the bottle thing? my son eats food but will only drink from me. he refuses a cup and a bottle! my 2 older boys were not this hard. i need my body back!
    trentcymorgsmom

Answer by trentcymorgsmom at 3:27 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Every baby is different. My twins are so very different. They too are 7 months and one likes to eat baby food the other not so much. My second twin is happy to nurse and nap ALL day long. The first is alot more active and hungry
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 5:11 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• you should always nurse before offering solids.
    is baby isn't interested then wait and try again later, there's no rush.
    some babies are ready for solids as early as 5 months but others are not ready until 7 or even 8 months.

what kind of solids are you offering? my little ones always preferred small bits of what we were eating as opposed to the purees.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 5:13 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• DO NOT restrict the amount of breastmilk baby is getting in an attempt to get her to eat!!!

Nurse your baby before offering other foods. Human milk remains the single most important food in your baby's diet until his first birthday. Additionally, he is more likely to show interest in new foods if he is not ravenously hungry. At this age, other foods are more for experimentation, play and fun. Remember to offer to nurse again after the solid "meal".

Babies who are ready for solids can usually feed themselves. Mothers often report that they knew their babies were ready when they picked up food from a plate, chewed it, swallowed it, and wanted more.

Listen to your baby! Babies with a tendency to allergies may refuse solids until later in their first year. As long as they are growing well and are happy and healthy, there is no need for concern.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:48 PM on Feb. 26, 2009