Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A freind of mine just bought my son a bunch of pullups and some outfits.. he really needed them i assumed she just got it with her taxes.. i just found out she bought it with stolen checks.. what should i do? (my son has used the stuff so i cant bring it back)

Is it wrong to keep it? should i really call the cops on a friend? what would you do? am i at fault too?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (9)
  • don't say anything just ride it out see what happens and never say anything more than you absolutely have to

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

  • Oh wow. Tough situation. Well obviously you can't return the pullups. But the clothes....I would at least return them to her and let her know that YOU are not okay with her actions and will not be a part of it and don't want stolen goods.

    How did you find out she bought it will stolen checks? Does she know you know? I'm torn. Yeah, you probably should call the cops, but I can see how hard it would be to do that to a friend. You could ask her to turn herself in.

    Answer by Nika75 at 3:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

  • call the athorties and anonymously ask about this this situation and see what they say, then go with your consious

    Answer by bi-polarmommy at 3:19 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

  • Wash all the stuff and give it back to her..If she will not take it back..Throw it all away.


    Answer by louise2 at 3:26 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

  • you benefit from what you know was a crime. That's accessory. Not sure what to advise except to call an attorney. There are some free legal sites. Try (that is 2 v's not a w) and see if they can help or call legal aid and ask. If you know a police officer you could ask a hypothetical question ( one of the "what if a person did this?" sort of thing and gave no names)

    Answer by admckenzie at 3:37 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

  • Get new friends.

    Answer by ria7 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

  • IMO you should keep the things she gave you. You will not be able to fix her actions by depriving your child of things he needs and has already received. Let your friend know that you were made aware of how she was able to purchase these things and that you don't appriciate her involving your family in her actions. Also, let her know you will not be able to accept any more gifts from her now. As for turning her in...well, I don't see the point. Checks are tracked in a system and she will more than likely be caught. And you are NOT an acessory to theft under the law! You are only an acessory if you recieve the merchandise and know at the time it is stolen (or bought with stolen checks). Also, since it was a gift and you didn't pay her for these things you are also not liable under the law for buying stolen merchandise.

    Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 4:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

  • Don't deprive your kids of what he needs and unless she told you directly you don't know anything about how she got it.

    She will get caught, and it's better not to get yourself caught up in these things...but really, taking things away from your child is not the way to go, specially since you said he needed them.

    Answer by chyna_doll at 4:10 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

  • I probably wouldn't let him wear the clothes but that's just me. Everytime I saw him in them I would be reminded of how they were purchased. As for calling the authorities on your friend, I think that's one for you to figure out. If she finds out you called the cops on her, you could lose her forever, which considering what she did might not be a bad thing! So you have to be prepared to lose her as a friend. She did have good intentions, buying your son things he needs, but obviously went about it the wrong way. Good Luck and hope everything works out.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.