Is it normal for your hair to shed a lot after giving birth 3 months ago?

This is my first pregnancy and I was told it's normal to shed hair after giving birth but what about three months after. I have thick hair and it doesn't seem to be thinning but it's annoying to find my hair ALL OVER the house!

Keelab

Asked by Keelab at 3:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Yep, totally normal. It doesn't necessarily happen right away. It happened to me when I stopped breastfeeding my son when he was 15 months old.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:19 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Yes, it sucks, but yes.
    loli_usn17

Answer by loli_usn17 at 3:26 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Yes, there was hair all over the place! I hated it. And yes it happens a few months later, maybe it has to do with your homones finally regulating or something, I don't know...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:41 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Yep, it's normal.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:19 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Yes it's totally normal. You can expect hair loss up to 6 months postpartum.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 4:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• yes it is norma, i went to the doctor for that also, I am 5 months postpartum and it is still going on
    Pat169

Answer by Pat169 at 5:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• If you are losing A LOT, as in you're getting fingers full when you wash your hair, ask your doctor to check your thyroid. It may be normal but better safe than sorry.
    AesSedai

Answer by AesSedai at 11:25 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Depends on the individual. I was told my hair would thin after my pregnancies and once i turned 30. I've always had thick hair and it became even thicker after each of these events.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• U have 2 remember ur body is still healing. If you wear your hair up alot, don't use rubber band type of hair bands. Also drink more water. Also try puttin a towel in the freezer and after u wash ur hair, wrap it up in the cold towel.
    mrsfarris

Answer by mrsfarris at 10:46 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Yes, I started losing mine about 2-3 months after my son was born. It was awefull because I tend to shed hair anyway and for me it was nonstop - I thought I was going bald. About 6 or 7 months after birth it started coming back.
    avonxpress

Answer by avonxpress at 5:01 PM on Feb. 28, 2009