• In the Spotlight:

When should I be completely ready for our new baby??

I am 21 weeks...and I feel like i dont want to jump the gun and rush and buy everyhting right now, in fact I feel silly buying the things I have already. We have a crib and the needed furniture. A few clothes and a carseat, thats it... When should I be pretty much done getting ready?? When were done getting all the things? I dont think i will ever be done, done, but I need to buy a swing, blankets, bedding, bath, and so on...Should I be doing it right now?? I feel like this last half of pregnancy is going to take forever!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• do it when you want...
    there isnt really any "time" to do things...
    I mean dont wait until your like 38 weeks & uncomfortable lol.
    But do it little by little...
    Dont overwhelm yourself.
    Keep it simple :]
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 3:22 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• There is never a perfect time. After you have the baby you will realize that you still don't have it all. I would just relax and pick things up here and there. The only thing you need to make sure you have totally prepared is your hospital bag. That should be ready to go no later than 35 weeks. Make sure you get a checklist and pack things to keep you comfy! Good Luck!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 3:22 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I would get everything you need by 34-35 weeks......I say that, though, because I went into labor at 36w6d and didn't have the crib, stroller, carseat, and a bunch of other stuff!! =) We had ordered it all but the crib was on backorder and the stroller and carseat were going to be there a week later. It would have been nice to be all ready.....
    Anonymous

• We moved to a new state when I was 8 months along, so we didn't have much of anything for the baby until then. All you REALLY need is supplies to diaper, clothe, and feed the baby, a carseat, and someplace for the baby to sleep. Everything after that is a bonus.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:24 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I would buy the necessities. You've already got some bought. A lot of the things that you still need you can ask for at your babyshower if you're having one. If you are, when that's over with then you can go buy the things you still need. The main thing is to make sure you have everything you will need right away...clothes, diapers, formula if not nursing, carseat, etc. Swings and bouncers are optional, but I love mine. I personally buy those things in neutrals so they work for boy or girl and can be easily reused. You want to have things bought before you get too far because who knows when your baby is going to make his/her entrance, and you probably aren't going to want to go buy things right after you've had your baby if you still need them and dont have them. hope this helps!
    nel2359

Answer by nel2359 at 3:39 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• dont buy everyhting or there wont be anything left to get at your shower! that was the hardest part for me, just having to wait to get stuff till after the shower cuz i knew people would want to get stuff and we didnt need cloths only lol. oh my fav thing to have though that i reccomend to eveyone is a moby baby carrier, (its like a wrap thing that you wrap around you and carry baby in) and gripe water. good luck! =)
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 3:44 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Right now, focus on you. There will be a baby shower where you will get tons of things for the baby.. anything you don't get you can buy afterwards... focus on pampering yourself for now. Go get a massage or a manicure. Go get your hair done. And for when your back hurts or is uncomfortable.. I recommend a massage ball you can get at bath and bodyworks... it even had a little hole to put massage oil in. One of my friends used it on my and I was a puddle for at least 15 min! It feels so nice!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 4:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2009