How about this for a compromise?

Alright, I notice in the last few months that there has been alot of social discord over the rights of the working taxpayer and the rights of those on public assistance. As a worker, I know I get peeved over listening to people gripe that "the government doesn't care about me/my kids/my house" while this huge spending bill goes forward to keep them happy. I also know that sometimes bad things happen to good people (it's happened to us before) just as I know there are some out there who will lie and cheat the system rather than attempt to find work.
How do you think this might work- EVERY American is given a 6 month, no questions asked medical, food, and utilities allotment to use in their lifetime. It can be taken in one month intervals or all at once, with the understanding that ONCE ITS GONE IT'S GONE - no having another baby and resetting the clock con'td

plylerjones

Asked by plylerjones at 3:24 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This would be used (hopefully) only for extreme emergencies and not become a way of life (unless you planned to die by month 7). Does anyone think this would work?
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 3:25 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• No, because whenever people are given an inch they want to take a mile...or however that saying goes. It would just keep getting stretched and stretched and stretched. I understand what you're saying in "when it's gone, it's gone" but I just don't think it would play out that way in the long run...hell, probably not in the short run.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 3:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I know, but I was thinking this morning how every intelligent financial commentator keeps expounding on "have 3-6 months living expenses in your savings account in case something goes wrong". I know I would love to be able to do that, but how many middle income people (assuming dh and I are, family of 6 and 60K year income) are able to do that? This way, you would have your 6 month safety net which you could dip into or not, depending on if you want to burn through it.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 3:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Welfare and other social entitlements were supposed to be temporary and have time limits. Look how that worked for us. We have a whole segment of society who live on social entitlements their entire lives. This would never work.

My husband and I were poor for a long time we had only neccessities and no wants. In time our incomes went up and we now have 2 years worth of living expenses in a low risk account. We waited to have kids it was not easy but so worth it. We make a 6 figure income but live on 50k a year.  We save the rest and help others with part of our money.  Mostly those who by no fault of their own have fallen on hard times. 

Most have no clue what an actual need is. Food, shelter, and clothing. Cable, cellphones, Internet, home phone, designer labels and other crap people seem to think are needs are actually wants and are in fact wants they don't need. 

Anonymous

• you can tell we're related because i actually agree and have had this thought myself.
    emilsmama

Answer by emilsmama at 4:51 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• hey emil, what time are you going to city hall for dave's wedding? kell said something like 1:45 pm
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 5:39 PM on Feb. 26, 2009