How can I say "no thanks" once and for all??

I watch my friend's kids from time to time and she always offers to watch mine, but I don't trust her. I have brought up the things she does that concern me (leaving a sleeping 11-mo-old alone in the apartment to go work-out at the apartment complex gym- she brushed me off saying it okay since she took the baby moniter with her. The fact that she is constantly on the cell phone or texting, etc) I don't think she is criminally negligent, I just think she is immature and selfish, and I don't know how many more excuses I can make for never letting her watch my kids. I don't mind watching her kids- it is never for more than a couple of hours and she doesn't pay me which I don't mind, but she feels like she "owes" me to watch my kids sometime. I just hate having to lie to her to avoid conflict!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Maybe the only way out is to stop watching her kids.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 3:44 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• No, leaving her baby in her apartment while she left, even to go to the gym on-site, is definitely what I would consider criminally negligent. Sorry. I don't even go outside to water my plants while my son is napping inside and he's 2 1/2 now! And hell no, I'd never leave my kids with her either! I'd continue making up excuses or just tell her and risk it.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 3:55 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Just keep telling her no. What if something bad happened while she was in the gym. A fire, the baby started choking... any number of bad things could happen and she might not reach them soon enough! I don't blame you one bit!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 4:00 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Come up with another way she can repay you. Tell her that you aren't interested in having anyone watch the kids (whether true or not) but that if she'd like to do something for you that you'd love to have a piece of that wonderful cake/pie/cookies etc that she makes. She must have something that she cooks that it wouldn't be a hardship for her to share a small amount with you.

Answer by Bmat at 4:03 PM on Feb. 26, 2009