What if?? (to those on government assistance)

Because there were so many people on unemplyment, in need of food stamps, etc the government had to cut your benefits to half.

Would you be ok to get less in order to help others out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am thinking about writing my state and getting a petition together to do this.
    Everyone should have to "spread" what they take in, shouldn't they?
    Anonymous

• Spread the wealth from the bottom up??
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 3:53 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Generally in my experience the amount you get is laughable. But if they had to cut it there would be nothing I could do. Some help is better than none at all.
    Anonymous

• HMMM... this should be interesting. It's true, there's always someone worse off than you. I'd like to know how many on any kind of assistance would be willing to part with some of it to help out their fellow man.

Anonymous

• akinbottom, not just from the bottom up, but everywhere. Everyone should have to give a little more than normal in these hard times, shouldn't they?
    Anonymous

• I would. Times are tough and we could all use a little help. I'm not so selfish to think that "I got here first so why should I share?" I'd like to think that if I was down to my last crust of bread and someone else needed to eat too I would share what I had.
    Anonymous

• Interesting concept. Take from the poor to give to the poorer. No thanks. The poor already do their share of the burden (or do you forget who cleans the toilets at your local walmart or in that restraunt you like so much?).
    Anonymous

• i am on foodstamps, and recently got more than i thought i should. i called, told them they made a mistake, and gave me too much. they said no, that is the amount for your size family. i told them i don't need that much, maybe about half, and they said well that's what you get and we won't lessen it
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 3:57 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• everyone should give a little more than normal but to say that someone who already can't afford to eat should give up more to help someone doesn't really make sense. being in that position if i got less it wouldn't be good. its not like i get a shit load of money. it doesn't even last me a month for food and i'm cheap as f@#k. there are definatly other ways that i could help though. i am doing community service with my church. the ones on the bottom can help but no i don't think its fair to take what they need when others have more than they need.
    chagenue

Answer by chagenue at 3:59 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• If no one else is going to help those even less fortunate than me then I guess it's up to me to do what I can.
    Anonymous