Universal healthcare.

Would you think the U.S. would be better off if it had this?

why or why not?

chyna_doll

Asked by chyna_doll at 3:55 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Health

• I think worse. Usually anything the government controls goes wrong. I see the doctors and the practices going downhill.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 3:56 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• It's a bad bad idea. What kind of care are we going to get for free? This is just another thing for the govrnment to take control of.
    Anonymous

• Better off, do you know how much we pay for uninsured people who go to the ER for an earache or UTI??? Universal health care is the norm in many countries where you ALSO have the option of fee-for-service care- (paying more = getting more) but EVERYONE deserves some basic preventitive care simply because it saves $$ in the end to treat problems early.
    kate_e

Answer by kate_e at 4:10 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I have lived with universal healthcare all my life and I can tell you that the government does not have any control in the doctor/patient relationship. 

Personally I don't think socialised health care systems like Britain's and Canada's would work in the US.  You just have way too many people.

I think your government needs to take a stand against the insurance companies.  Force them to cover treatment, not allow people to be denied for coverage and payments need to capped for starters. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:16 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• No, it would be horrid! It's called communism! While I think the government does need to take some steps to LOWER the cost of healthcare I don't believe that government controlled anything is a good thing. I should be the one that makes the decisions about my health. I should have the right to pick and choose where and who my money goes to. That includes having or not having insurance or other health care benefits programs. Universal Healthcare would be FAR from FREE! Our taxes would go WAY up in order to pay for all those people that run to the ER for every little thing. You also need to realize that with a universal program people take advantage! Doctors and patients. There are unnecessary tests run and unnecessary treatments given to make the doctors money and to pacify patients with no real options. Who pays for that? Everyone else. Who sits of waiting lists and can't get the care they need NOW, everyone else. Not Good!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:22 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I think the best thing this government could do is creat stricter laws and lower the costs of the DOCTORS insurance which would in turn allow the docs to lower the cost to patients. Insurance companies should also not have the option to cut off care or refuse someone based on their health. Sick people need the care most. How does it make any sence that they are the ones the insurance companies won't talk to?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:25 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Maybe..I think the people who are against it have never been without health insurance. Everybody should be able to get treated when ill. Someone in a cubicle in India should not decide whether or not you should be allowed that lifesaving MRI.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• No. Not good at all. We researched this in our health course, and while we all found that it would be wonderful to have health care for every single individual in the nation, it would end up being a system where people would lose their freedom of choice.
    Imagine the governement telling you what you can and cannot do for healthcare. What surgeries you can and cannot have according to medical necessity whether you want it or not. How much out of pocket expenses you have to pay and the costs keep rising because they have the right to do so.
    Many of you think that it's no big deal because your insurance company does that now. The difference is that right now you have a choice to change insurance companies and choose a plan that suits your health care needs. This would not be so with universal health care.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:44 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Imagine the governement telling you what you can and cannot do for healthcare. What surgeries you can and cannot have according to medical necessity whether you want it or not.

How did your research lead you to this conclusion?  Because in the two countries where I have lived (both with universal health care) this is most definitely NOT the case.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:03 AM on Feb. 27, 2009