Would you be able to do it yourself?

There are alot of things around the house that I feel like can do. Alittle something like paint the bathroom and cabinets or do the front yard (landscaping).

For instant the front of our house have these pine smelling bushes (atleast they smell like that to me) you see them around alot but anyway these bushes do not look all that they look thin and sad and very dry at the bottom like the wood part is so dry. I would like to dig them out and redo it with some other type of bushes...any suggestions. Not to mention...How to dig them out with out straining myself...lol Also our walkway as you comeout of the house one side has pretty bushes and other side is dirt no attraction at all..lol any suggestions on that as well.
Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Go to a nursery and see what appeals. We have small boxwoods in the front, although they do get pretty big and can use trimming. We also have some holly bushes, but they grow very fast and need lots of trimming. You'll want to get something that is green all year (or doesn't lose leaves anyway) so you'll have color there all year. To take out your old shrubs it might just be easiest to hire somebody. But if you want to try it on your own trim them out and cut back almost to the ground. Then you can start shoveling around the roots. You can use the shovel as a cutting tool when you get down low enough to make some cuts on the roots so that you aren't trying to dig out the roots all in one piece.

Answer by Bmat at 4:21 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I agree that the hardest part might be getting them out....it depends on how big they are. I know people have tied them to the back of a truck and pulled them out....I would be afraid to try that myself. Planting new things is relatively easy....but get some advise about how fast they grow and how big they get because looks can be deceiving when you are choosing what you think are little plants!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 5:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2009