What was your experience with a C-section?

Ok my first birth experience was horrible! I had to be induced and had a bad episiotomy (sp?) that went from my vagina to my butt hole and + the bad hemoroids.
This time I am overdue again and my baby is a lot bigger than the first - my doctor said that if I dont want to tear on top of that episiotomy I should have a C-section.

What was your experience with a Csection?
when were you able to drive again?
could you go up and down the stairs?
for how long did you have help?

Paty_hotmommy

Asked by Paty_hotmommy at 4:11 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I didn't think of my section to be bad at all. By the time I was home from the hospital which was 3 days after I had my son, I was able to do the stairs, just slowly. I was able to drive once the stiches were out which I believe was just a wk later. My husband was home w/ us for the first wk, but in all honesty he didn't do any more than I did. The pain was not that bad. I just took 3 ibprofen when needed, which wasn't much. The more you get up and move afterwards, the better you will feel, and the sooner you will recover. Don't let it scare you, I swear to you its not bad. I am 25 wks pregnant and will be having another section. If it was bad, I would want to try the other.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I LOVED MY C-SECTION! We live in a two story house, and we were fine, we just tried to stay on one floor primarily! We had NO help, my hubby took like 2 weeks but no outside help. He drove me to my appointments, but I was able to drive not long after. The more you move the faster you heal. I think that in your situation I would rather have a c-section. Good luck!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 4:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I had a great c-section. I stayed in the hospital for three days without any significant pain at all...and by the time I got home I felt well enough to take care of the baby myself with little help. I don't remember about the driving question....I am sure I did what the doctor told me to do, as I am a very obedient patient. Honestly, the c-section was completely painless and less sore than the previous vaginal delivery I had. I found that to be much more uncomfortable, honestly. I know some people have had less positive experiences, but I am being completely honest.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 4:40 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My section wasn't bad either. I don't remember the stairs bothering me at all. I was able to do all of the regular Mommy duties right away, and the only thing I specifically remember bothering me was hard laughter and sneezing! Plus, you get pain medication to take if you need it, but honestly like the other mom said, I didn't need it often. They told me not to drive for two weeks, and not if I had taken any medication. ( Doctor ok'd me driving myself to an appointment after one week, and all was fine.) I can litterally barely see the scar and it falls way below my underwear/bathing suit area. C-section was fine and I would not worry if they told me I need another one this time around. Good luck!
    mileymoo

Answer by mileymoo at 4:41 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I loved it. sure it can be a tiny bit painful after but its not bad at all. i was walking around the mall the day i got home from the hospital which was 4 days later. I would do it 100 x over :)
    tawnbond

Answer by tawnbond at 5:13 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Cont....
    I drove a week later
    had help from my husband but refused others because i was doing perfectly fine
    and when i got home i practicaly ran up the stairs because i had to pee lol
    tawnbond

Answer by tawnbond at 5:14 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I've had two c-sections, they both went okay. The first was after 38 hours of labor and failed forceps... the second was planned and I'm going in again in March. The recovery is about 6 weeks, you can walk up and down the stairs but they say to limit it in the first few weeks after surgery... maybe twice a day or more if you feel up to it. You can't lift anything over your babys weight for several weeks. I know several people are going to say " OMG why choose c-section" but most have never had one, I would rather have a c-section that will heal nicely then a tear all the way to my butt hole. A tear that bad can do way more damage then a first time c-section.... it's all up to you! Ask your doc for the pros and cons
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 5:17 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I agree with most of you ladies... a C-section is better than another tear.
    My doctor had to but my butt hole and muscles back together with my son and I find it hard to believe that there is worse pain than that!!!!
    Thank you all so much! I am glad I will do the c-section.
    Paty_hotmommy

Answer by Paty_hotmommy at 5:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2009