• In the Spotlight:

How can I get the smoke smell out of my pack n' play?

We were given a used pack n' play from a friend. They smoke in their house. I laid my baby in it the other day and just got overwhelmed the smell of smoke. Before she was born I used febreeze on it once a day for about two weeks. It is nice outside today, so I put it out there to see if it will help. Any other ideas?!?

Jadyn09

Asked by Jadyn09 at 4:11 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Chuck it ASAP. There are toxins being released from the fabric and gettng into your baby while he's sleeping.

Buy a new one.
    Anonymous

• If you cannot buy a new one like the above poster suggested you can do this. Set it up outside in the sun. Let the sun disinfect it and having it outside will help get rid of the smell. You can use a vinegar and water solution to spray all over it to help reduce the smell while it's sitting outside.
    Anonymous

• Oh Lord! My MIL is a chain smoker and we needed her to babysit once while my DS was a baby. She promised to smoke outside, but her house smells like smoke anyway. I thought we were going to have to buy a new one. Finally I febreezed the crap out of it and set it out on my front porch for about 4 days and finally the stink went away.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:38 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• You can get a product called SOS it is an enzyme based product to remove smoke oders ans stains.
    MOTIVESMOMMY

Answer by MOTIVESMOMMY at 11:30 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• That is terrible. I like the suggestion of the sunshine and vinegar spray - hope it works. You can also try placing it inside a gigantic plastic bag or under a tarp and place several open boxes of baking soda or containers of charcoal under the tarp/plastic to help absorb the odor. Clean as much of the Pack-N-Play by hand as you can.
    My daughter received some very nice items for her baby but they were mildewed so we had to take things apart in order to bleach wash them a few times to be sure they were clean and disinfected.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:24 PM on Feb. 28, 2009