What's your view of those on the food stamp program?

Can be anon if you want.

I know before I needed assistance I had a rather narrow-minded view of the lifestyle assocoiated with being on food stamps. But as I have gone along with the program, I quickly found out that most stay within the guidelines and are not the low-lifes that some people associate with just being on assistance.

I found that there are young, old, those that had good jobs, and those like me who's physical illness landed them on the sidelines.

Its no fun being on food stamps. Im not out there buying steaks or cigarettes, heck I dont even smoke.

What makes me angry is that the generalization that society seems to have with this topic..like just because Im on the food stamp program that Im considered a scammer or baby machine, which Im not. Im tired of being judged of what I wear, what car I had, heaven forbid, I wont dress in a potato sack, but Im certainly not in high fashion either.

lilmizmoore1127

Asked by lilmizmoore1127 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Amen sister! SO and I both work but with a stroke of bad luck (he's company closed down 2 weeks before my son was born) we got behind on bills and were on food stamps for awhile. So it's not like I'm at sitting at home collecting welfare. Even now I always buy clothes on clearance!
    Anonymous

• The program has been so abused that it has left a bad taste in the mouths of the tax payers.
    Anonymous

• They also don't tend to see that those on food stamps are not getting enough to cover the cost of food (especially as the prices rise) and that we have to cut back on other expenses. Most people on assistance are not trying to "mooch," nor are they lazy.... though with the attitude of the women on here it would be easy to assume this. My husband is working his tail off at 2 jobs while going to school full-time, I have 2 special needs children and cannot go out and work or I'd be out there working too. But darn if I don't hear the "people on food stamps are lazy and just want to take my money and not work for their own." I'm so sick of the righteous attitude from those who have never gone through the humiliation of applying for or using food stamps. Do you think people like being treated like dirt when they pull out their food stamp card? You think we like the snide comments from the cashiers?
    Anonymous

• I don't see any problem with somebody needing help. It's much better thing to ask for help then being in denial sate and refuse the help when it's needed. I don't have the need to judge people . I don't know their life story or why they need help.

Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 4:29 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• i'm glad that your situations has helped you become more open-minded. When i tell ppl i grew up as a welfare child they automatically think that my mom was on drugs or lazy or something. My mom was a single mother of 4 kids who went to school all through my childhood years. She failed the RN program and had to start over again. AND she worked under the table to try to provide the things for us that welfare didnt help pay for at that time (there was no cash aid). She worked her ass off!!! We didnt get off welfare until i was 13 yo. But the whole time she was working as hard as she knew how to free herself from the system.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:29 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• There are some who abuse it, but most people who use it need it for that time period in their lives. My husband and I split up, and I am lucky that he continues to pay the bills because I have been unable to find a full time job. If it weren't for him, I would have had to get some kind of assistance. I know many women find themselves in that position....and I can sympathize with them. Most of us would prefer to be making good money and living a different life....I don't think food stamps are something anyone aspires to. Abusers are a different story, but we have to separate them from the average person who just needs some help for a time.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 4:32 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I think it should be a hand up. Temporary, with incentives to build confidence, skills, and prosper independent from the government.  I think the government should create more incentive to get off of assistance (tuition credits, etc). 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:33 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• (con't) I think all Americans should be subjected to what those of us who have asked for assistance have to go through just to put food on the table have to go through. You don't know everyone's situation, you don't know everyone's life story. Some people need to just close their mouths and stop spouting ignorance. Live a day in my life (cereal, homemade chicken nuggets and macaroni and cheese with a tiny bit of hamburger and some peas thrown in because that's all you can afford). I have a graduate degree. I used to have a career, not just a job (until that got outsourced). Now I can't even get hired at McDonald's because some stupid teenager wants a car. Wish I could join the military, they're the only one's hiring, but then I have that darn disability that gets in the way of being allowed to join.
    Anonymous

• I'm alright if it is actually a need and EVERY other option has been exhausted...what I detest though are those who are any sort of welfare and have the nerve to gripe that it isn't enough.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:34 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Just like in grade school..it doesn't take more than one bad apple to make the rest of the apples a little more dull. Sadly that's the way it is.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 4:34 PM on Feb. 26, 2009