How much weight should you gain while pregnant?

Im about 22 weeks pregnant with my 1st child and Ive already gained 35lbs. My doctor said I need to go on a diet. I hardly ever ate anything before I got pregnant and am very worried about gaining weight. I only eat when Im so hungry I start to shake. What am I doing wrong? Why am I gaining so much weight? Can someone help me? What should I do?

CassandraV

Asked by CassandraV at 4:25 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Are you eating healthy? I'm not one to criticize cuz I don't eat the healthiest at all, not with this one or my first one. W/ my son I gained 35lbs, and w/ this one I've gained 16 and am 25 wks. I asked my dr. this on tuesday and he said for me 20-35lbs. Everyone is different tho. Try not waiting til you get that hungry and just eat small snacks/meals throughout the day.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 4:32 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Only your Dr. can make that call. It all has to do with your height, weight, age, family history, etc.. etc...
    Anonymous

• I'm 5' 7" and I weighed 123 before I got preggo, I ended up gaining 40-45 lbs. Sometimes despite your best efforts you still gain. I ate healthy as well, chocolate made me sick so that was out of the picture and all I craved was baby carrots and pickles. Both of those are fat free, the rest of my diet was filled with small meals, the same as what I eat all the time. For some reason though I packed on the pounds! Good Luck.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 4:37 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• they recomend different weight gain for different people. i was told to gain between 30 and 35lbs but i started off underweight and lost 10lbs the first trimester from being so sick.
    just try eating 6 small meals a day instead of waiting til you are starving maybe your eating way to much when you do that. just try smaller meals and snacks and try to make them healthy if your nto already.
    Anonymous

• With my 1st baby I grained 40.My doctor said the same thing.Go for walks or something like that.
    Jennifer_24

Answer by Jennifer_24 at 4:52 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I am 38 weeks and have only gained 17 pounds, my doctor is amazed and very impressed, all I did was snack throughout the day on things like crackers, fruits, fruit snacks, little things that I could put in my purse, it makes it seem like you are eating all day but really you are just eating light snacks up until dinner, then I only eat as much as I can until I am full and have a snack again before bed. It's really helped me, oh and juice! fruit punch for some reason kept me full.
    Larsbug

Answer by Larsbug at 5:06 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I gained 45 pounds in my first pregnancy. I don't know how I did though...because, I hardly ate and anything I did eat, I would throw up. I was vommitting 6 times a day from week 4 to week 39. I'm currently 26.5 weeks pregnant and have gained 12 pounds so far. It took me awhile to gain since I already had 18 pounds of baby weight from my first that I didn't lose.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 10:19 PM on Feb. 26, 2009