BRESTFEEDING (MILK SUPPLY DOWN???)HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!

My son was born 3 and 1/2 weeks early and we fought with jaundice. so they had me supplement formula afterfeeding so he got to where he was eating quite a bit of formula well he is 7 weeks now i want him to cut back on the formula and give him more breast milk and less formula but when i pump i only get like 1 1/2 oz. at a time throughout the day while i am at work there feels like there is more milk in there but it won't pump out what can i do to increase the amopunt that i ump out at work??? i Know if i pump while he is feeding on one side i can get a 1 1/2 oz. out of on side not both! it is very frustrating and when he is breastfeeding he never seems to be completely satisfied i think it is because he is so used to it being followed by a bottle that he expects it!
what should i do????????????help please!!!!!!!!!!

prestonsmom105

Asked by prestonsmom105 at 4:26 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe drink more liquids, try Mother's Milk tea (works great, availiable at most grocery stores) and maybe look online at La Leche League or get ahold of a lactation consultant.
    sarah3-CO

Answer by sarah3-CO at 4:31 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Well, my dr told me to drink a lot of water a lot and a lot of it!!!!!!!
    aznblond9

Answer by aznblond9 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Ask your doctor about an RX for Reglan. It increases milk production.
    Anonymous

• You also need to start pumping at work. You can't go 8 hours without pumping and expect to have a full supply to pump or nurse with. Can you arrange something with your employer? Pump in your car on your lunch break? You'll have to find a way to pump at least once, preferably 2-3 times.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:39 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I guess I am surprised they didn't have you reduce the amount of formula once the jaundice cleared up. Have you talke to a lactation consultant? They can be very helpful. I think you would have to pump as often as possible and nurse as often as possible because you know that "demand" determines the amount of milk produced.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 4:45 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I suggest contacting a lactation consultant. It angers me that hospitals had you supplement. A preemie especially needed to be nursed CONSTANTLY after birth. Their is no reason to supplement for jaundice either! Ugggh, hospital staff are so stupid!

Anyways, drink lots of water and eat oatmeal (cookies, the warm cereal kind, etc). You can take fenugreek and/or drink Mother's milk Tea. Nurse constantly. If he empties one breast, nurse off the other. The more you nurse, the more your supply goes up!

Pumping can be really inefficient and it could be a bad pump. Try having a picture of him around while you pump, and imagine it's him nursing. (Weird, but can help). Pump all the time too, including during/after a feeding!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:00 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Switch sides often while nursing. Drink alot of water and pump about an hour after each feeding. Try to pump as often as possible at work. Eat smaller meals more often. Start weaning out the formula bottles
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 5:08 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• celticreverie offered some great information!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 5:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Just keep trying to offer it to him. and to increase your supply again, call your OB and tell them that this is happening and ask them for a perscription called Raglen. It is used for acid reflux in some people, but it also helps produce milk. I had breast reduction 10 years prior to having my daughter and they didnt know if i could nurse or not, and well i couldnt :( because my full milk never came in so she only got 2 weeks of it, but they gave me that to help a supply come in if it could, but most of my ducts were not attached anymore. and keep PUMPING! try to do it as often as you can to get your supply back up then you can back off a little. But call your OB or the hospitals lactaion nurse they can help you! GL
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 6:06 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• While you pump, try applying heat to your breasts. That will help your milk to drop the rest of the way. Also, massage your breasts mainly right next to your underarm. The milk needs a little coaxing down sometimes. I am having to do this now because I have milk just not a whole lot yet. I had problems with my first child, she only got to bf for 3 months and I supplemented the whole time. So far this time I have not had to except for the first 3-4 days. Try this and maybe they will empty all the way so your supply will increase. Supply and demand!
    Blessedmommy215

Answer by Blessedmommy215 at 7:45 PM on Feb. 26, 2009