Which is a better choice for care for your child?

If you had to work outside the home 2 or 3 days per week, what do you think is a better option (and why) for childcare for your 8 month old. A private woman in her home who babysits other kids of various ages, or a daycare center that has a program for like aged kids and regulates the staff to child ratio, etc...? Assume that cost is the same.

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 4:40 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I prefer having mine in a center. I like that there are several adults at the center where my babies stay because I feel like the caregivers are watching one another (not that I think any of them would do anything dangerous or inappropriate, but knowing others are watching just makes it seem less likey). I also like knowing that the center will always be open on scheduled days, whereas with a home daycare you have to be prepared for days when the caregiver is sick or has another emergency. Similar age groupings in daycare centers are also an advantage, as kaycee14 pointed out.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:07 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• The woman in her home. She has fewer children and will be able to give better direct one on one care to your child. ...but PLEASE check out her home first. and you might want to see if she is infant cpr and first aide certified. other wise it might be better to go with the center.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:42 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Well, technically the daycare has a better teacher:child ratio, the woman in her home has more kids to attend to...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:43 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• It would depend on a few things: such as how many children the women in her home handles. I wouldn't put my child in an in-home daycare unless I knew that the provider didn't have her hands full. I tend to prefer in home providers, but it all depends on their references and their certifications etc... having kids around of all ages is a much better way to learn then sticking all the toddlers together, imo.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:56 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I knew a lady that ran a home daycare with children about the same age as my girls. She was the sweetest. I would not choose someone I did not know very well. I knew her for a few years before I let her watch my babies
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 5:13 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I would go with the daycare center.
    I've watched groups of mixed aged kids at play and the older ones just are not old enough to be careful around the littlest ones. Toddlers can be TOLD to be careful of the babies, but they won't remember. Preschoolers can be TOLD to be fair and nice to the toddlers, but they won't want to. A group of kids all around the same age is a safer play enviornment.
    Also, the day care will have many age appropriate toys and activities instead of trying to be a "one-size-fits-all" place. Toys that a 4 year old will like are not usually safe around infants. Art projects that preschoolers can do (scissors, glue, etc) are not appropriate for infants or young toddlers.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:14 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I went with Private in home daycare for my son. Less germs. A bit more one on one care.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:53 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I also wanted to add that the center I take my babies to is very clean. Because they have sufficient staffing, they are able to delegate specific cleaning tasks to staff memebers at times when the staff memebrs are not responsible for any children (I assume the in-home person woiuld have to clean after all the kids leave or try to do it while she is watching them). The center I use also has fairly strict policies about sending sick kids home; an in-home daycare my cousin uses lets fairly sick children stay. I know my babies are never left unattended at their daycare center, but I would think a single person in a home would have to leave them unattended at times just to go to the bathroom (you can get away with this at your own home with your own kids, but think about several kids of differing ages - is your baby safe with someone elses 3 year old and no adult supervision?)
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:28 PM on Feb. 26, 2009