Quick tax question

Does it actually matter whose name (your own or your husband's) goes on the tax form first? My mom swears it does, and that hubby (the main earner) should be first, but I think that is just a sexist habit and it doesn't actually matter whose name is first. I put my own because I prepared it, and it asks for YOUR name, then spouse's. Am I wrong?

Iskkra

Asked by Iskkra at 4:41 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• Sexist habit is right! It absolutely does not matter.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 4:44 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• you should honestly put who ever makes the most first...... it does matter alittle but no that much... we did ares in my name last year and we got 2100 back and in his name this year and we got 6800 back and everything is the same as last year we mad the same amount...... the only thing that changed was the earned income credit.... and that wouldnt make that big of a diffrence
    Anonymous

• I've always put mine first.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 4:46 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Who cares?
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 5:46 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Doesn't matter. THe person who appears on the return first will be the point of contact. So if you don't want ot have to deal with them, put hubby's name first. :)
    Anonymous

• It DOES matter. My dh has always been the first name on the list, unil this year. We somehow got back $780 more from Federal by putting my name first. Our accountant is the BEST, she checks all these different things!

This is the first full year my dh did not work, being a full time student. I work full time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:43 AM on Feb. 27, 2009