dinner

my 3 year old came up to me earlier adn told me he wanted to help cook dinner. what is a good easy fast dinner to cook that he can help out a lot with?

lil_ferfer

Asked by lil_ferfer at 4:59 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'd stick with microwaving, whatever you decide to make.

You don't want him to get the idea he can cook on the stove.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 5:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• i agree but if u want him to help alot have him wash veggies, and stuff and get plates and set the table that sounds better for a 3 yr old
    Anonymous

• I would do something cold like a pasta salad. I'd cook, drain, rinse, the pasta have all the veggies, and whatever else you add already cut up. Have it all ready to go then he can add everything and mix it all together. There are a bunch of ingredients, lots of different colors, and he'll feel like he really did something.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 5:40 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• i would let them help with anything that isn't on the stove. my step kids like to help make brownies or muffins. i let them help add ingrediants in the bowl and stir everything. then i pour whatever it is into its pan. the oldest (8) wants to do more with the stove, but i still limit that a lot. either way as long as you are there and establish your limits i wouldn't think you would have to stick with cold foods or microvable foods....

i don't have any ideas though....and by now, i would hope you have had dinner. lol
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:38 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My kids love to cook, I let them add ingreidents, or help season the food. Anything as far as preparing the food. They also like to set the table.
    m_allen

Answer by m_allen at 10:04 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• 3 year olds can do alot in the kitchen! how wonderful that yours is showing interest in helping!

they can stir, chop (soft foods with butter knife), spread things out in a pan, tear lettuce, pour ingredients that you have measured (dry ones are obviously easier for them to do), have him help in getting you utensils (my son has his own special whisk), they can put muffin liners in a muffin pan,....

at the age of 3, your child would be able to help you make a simple fruit salad. prewash strawberries, bananas, apples, etc. While your child is chopping (or mutilating) a strawberry, you can get the apples chopped up. Put them all in a big bowl (the bigger, the less mess on the counter) and let him stir it all up. Portion out into bowls and let him put a dollop of whipped cream on each. so much fun!
    -Leann-

Answer by -Leann- at 12:57 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• at 3 my son was making playdough and setting the table. he washed veggies and dishes and helped stir. hes 16 now and loves the kitchen!!
    if you are lookin for a recipie for him to do mostly by himself i would stick to non stove stuff but if you are wanting to just have fun the skys the limit. check out this book: kids get cookin, all star fast and fun recipes
    its published by califonia childrens 5 a day power play! campaign cancer prevention and nutrition section, california department of health services. p.o. box 942732,ms-662, sacramento ca 94234-7320 good luck
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 6:47 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Give him any little job he is able to do: stirring, dumping in ingredients, getting an egg out of the fridge. You can also let him have some pieces of food and little kitchen tools to work with along with you.
    momo8child

Answer by momo8child at 3:38 AM on Mar. 6, 2009