can something thats baking in a glass in the oven explode if you add cold water to it?

i was looking through recipes somewhere and i remember seeing that this lady had posted "add hot water, if you add cold your glasswear will EXPLODE!" while it was in the oven baking.

is that true?

americansugar80

Asked by americansugar80 at 5:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• As someone with quite a bit of experience working with glass (10 years glassblowing, etc.) I can tell you that thermal shock of adding cold water, ice, frozen veggies, etc. can cause your dish to crack. Explode is a bit much. You'll run the risk of cracking the dish if it comes hot out of the oven and you submerge it in cold water, too. Most cookware is Pyrex and has been annealed to help reduce this shock, but I have had some crack on me.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 5:16 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• If the glass is already hot when you're putting cold water in, yes it can. The worst I've experienced is a big crack though that ruined my dish.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:14 PM on Feb. 26, 2009