Can I pump before my baby arrives?

I'm already lactating, but I was unsure of whether or not I could start pumping my milk yet, since I know the colustrum I'm producing now is exactly what my baby needs the first few days. I just wanted to go ahead and start since I figured I could already have a supply built up by the time baby arrives. I'm 37 weeks pregnant. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You won't build up a supply before the baby is born, since they need colostrum. I wouldn't worry about it. You are not going to dry up before the birth.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 5:49 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• No. Pumping can actually cause you to go into labor. You dont want to do that.

Answer by gemgem at 5:28 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• tHEY SAY PUMPING BEFORE A BABY IS BORN IS BAD FOR THE BABY
    Anonymous

• no no no that is the last thing you wana do. what your leaking is very importent for baby and you want baby to establish your milk supply. plus pumping can put you into labor like gemgem said.
    Anonymous

• You wont build up a supply. Your milk wont come in until AFTER the baby is born, no matter if you are leaking now. All the stuff before is colostrum. Pumping would be useless lol.

You can start pumping after the baby is born but it takes 3-5 days, on average, for milk to come and you will be lucky to pump an ounce of colostrum.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:32 PM on Feb. 26, 2009