Going potty in public

My daughter has only been going in the potty for a few days and in a potty chair never on a regular toilet. We are due to go out for dinner tomorrow night for an anniversary party. How do I get her to go in a regular potty in public? Do I need to put a pull on her to aviod an accident? Because if I put a pull up or diaper on her she will probably go in the diaper. Please help this is my first time :)

lillysmama2008

Asked by lillysmama2008 at 5:39 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've been coming back to your question because I want to know too!
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 5:51 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Since you've only been training for a few days and since you are going to a place that will be very distracting to her (and you), I'd say put a pull-up on her for safety and take her once or twice while you are there. She may go in the potty, she may not.

As for public pottys in general - my daughter hasn't had any problems with them. I just hold her on the seat so she doesn't fall off or in!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:52 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I would put a pull up on her but don't call it that....we call them "just in casers". It's "just in case we don't make it to the potty" so they know they're still expected to pee in the potty.

Have her go to the potty before you leave the house and maybe again shortly after you order the food? Reinforce that the pull up isn't there for her to pee in.

As for peeing in the toilet...that's one reason why we just used a toilet insert...fits right on the seat. They also sell travel ones that fold up and can fit in a bag....It folds into quarters...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:47 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Today, at my son's Well Child visit, he had to to potty.. so, I brought his handy dandy sponge-bob fold up portable potty seat with us, and he totally popped a squat. I was just SO proud of him.

I would suggest letting her get to know it first, like, use it a couple of times before taking it with you. Good luck!
    MommieAnya0220

Answer by MommieAnya0220 at 12:59 AM on Feb. 27, 2009