my son dont calls me mom or mommie but he calls my mother (his grandmother) "mom". should i put a stop to it or just let it be???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• when he calls her mom i would just tell him no thats grandma or whatever it is that she wants to be called.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 5:44 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Well is he always wth your mom? What does he call you? My daughter when ever she sees an elderly person she thinks it is her grandma or grandpa... I don't know I wouldn't really be happy if my child was calling someone else mom??? I would probably put a stop to that... exspecially if he is 3 or 4?
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 5:44 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• why does he call her mom? i wouldnt let that go on but then again i dont know the situation in detail either.
    i dont understand why he wouldnt call your mommy.
    Anonymous

• i would try to get him to stop. how old id he ?
    angel_megan

Answer by angel_megan at 5:45 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• my DS used to call me and his grandmother mama. ...but he got over it.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:45 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Did he live with her for a time? My grandson(adopted) calls us grandma and Papa interchangably with Mama and Daddy. Their bio Mother is "Mommy" and they never hear from bio dad..so they call him nothing.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:46 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I know a girl who used to have her sister watch her daughter during the day while she was working. One day when she was over there, her daughter fell and started crying and ran to the sister for comfort instead of to her.

Could be your baby is confused who is mom.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 5:49 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Maybe he could be guided to call her Mommom. It would bother me, I am pretty sure if he called my mother Mom. If you keep calling her Mommom, then he may start doing the same thing. If you actually bring her up in conversation using Mommom then he'll keep hearing it. She should also encourage him to say it. If it isn't going to change, see if you can get him to call you Momsie or something like that.

Answer by Bmat at 5:52 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My son calls me "Mommy" but calls my mom "Mom" just because that's what he hears me call her when we're over there. I think it's cute, lol.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 5:55 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My step-mom's first son (my step-brother) called her mother - his grandmother - "mom" because that's what she would call her. We all call her "mom" just because that name stuck. He has always been close to both the ladies he calls "mom" and now his 1 year old daughter calls my step-mom "grandma" but still calls my step-mom's mother "mom". I'm not a psychologist, but from what I've observed over the years and watching my step-brother grow from a 5 year old little boy to a 22 year old man, there's been no harm. But this is your child, and if you don't feel comfortable with him calling your mother "mom", then she should respect that. However, you should correct the problem immediately so it doesn't cause confusion.

redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 5:58 PM on Feb. 26, 2009