If you were president how would you handle our economic crisis?

I'm just wondering bc i'm kinda getting really sick and tired of hearing everyone go back and forth. Obama's plan may not work. It might not be the best. But it might work. No one has really given it a chance yet. But what would YOU have done?

And now part 2. ...If anyone can find a fault in someone's plan please let us know. and if you can post a possible solution to either the fault OR the overall crisis.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 6:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am with NOTPANICKING on this..   The sayings "The strong will survive". "Survival of the fittest".  I sure wouldn't have bailed anyone out.

Answer by louise2 at 6:22 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Give all the poor 1 million dollars... hahaha I dunno what I would do! Thats why I am not the president!! Curious to see what others will post though : )
    Anonymous

• Left it alone. It's the natural cycle, it happens every 10-20 years, and it corrects itself, EVERY time. This is not a national issue, it's a global one, and no matter what we do, we aren't going to fix the economy of Japan or the UK or India or anywhere else. All we're doing is making it worse for everyone. Once it gets back to normal (which Bernanke says could be as soon as the end of the year), then look into targeted government budget CUTS until the deficit is taken care of.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:11 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• A lot of what I've heard to fix our problem has already been tried during the first depression and made it longer and worse.

So if I were President, I would learn from the mistakes made in the past and do the opposite.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:12 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• The first thing Id do is offer tax credits over the next decade to companies who left and outsourced to bring jobs back. Id make it worth their while to come back and reemploy our unemployed. Example Google set up a server farm in my area and the county and state gave them billions in tax savings to come here. Guess what? They chose our county over others in other states and now we have jobs. Only do that on a larger scale bring back the jobs that left. Offer retraining for jobs that wont come back to people unemployed in recession proof jobs (teaching, medical etc). Offer tax credit to small businesses for each job they create or person they hire off retraining programs. Cut funding for things we dont need RIGHT NOW. Thatd be where Id start.

Answer by gemgem at 6:12 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Cut taxes for everyone. Cut spending. Business willing to move business back to the USA get a tax cut. They only leave because our corporate taxes are the highest in the world. Tax holidays before major holidays. Allow small business owners to buy insurance together so they can get a cheaper rate. My dad pay 900 a month for his plan. That could be cut in half for his family of 6 it would be great. The 15,000 tax credit for all who buy a home. It would be retroactive from the first of the year. All of this gives people more money. Initially they would pay off debt and save but by the first of next year most would be out stimulating the economy which means there will be jobs. Obama's plan won't produce jobs for at least two years.

BTW these are all things Democrats thumbed their noses at when Republicans presented them.
    Anonymous

• Let's see... #1 not make a 700 billion dollar bill thats crap..

#2 kick out all the illegals and open jobs for actual citizens

#3 dramitcally reduce outsourcing if not eliminate it all together

#4 encourge the production on products to be made in the USA and even offer small loans to help people get started

#5 not let people purchase things (cars, houses) they can not afford...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 6:20 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• This question is getting a little silly......Repubs get mad at the way things are being handled and ya'll Dems get pissy and want to know what "we" would do.......and EVERY time we give you lists upon lists of alternatives! We aren't being argumentative because McCain lost...we re being argumentative b/c Obama's decisions are leading us into worse times!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:21 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• If the Government would butt out let us keep more of our money things would improve. Bush was right in tax cuts his problem was his spending like a Kennedy on a 3 day drunken bender. Spending has to be stopped and taxes for all have to be lowered. It will work if Obama would put his pride aside and do what is best for our country instead of his political career.
    Anonymous

• Hmmm for me...

#1. I would kick out anyone that is illegally here....
    #2. Give everyone a certain amount extra on their paychecks (for medical purposes)
    #3. and for people who want to buy houses or cars...make it a law that they have to have AT LEAST 25% to put down.

I don't know what else...
    I guess not let big businesses have bailout money...or if they were given money then give them strick laws on what that money was to be used for...not fancy "business" lunches or anything like that.
    Briyawna

Answer by Briyawna at 6:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2009