My dog bit me... what if he gets my 2 year old???

We have adopted a stray dog, whom we've named Jack. He's a good boy just a bit rowdy. Tonight when I was taking him out he was not nipping but biting me. I hate to get rid of him but I am deathly afraid of what he'd do to my 2 year old daughter. We've had him for a year and thought it'd just take some time and that he'd calm down but he just has'nt. I am upset over this as I dont want to get rid of him but hes just too dangerous.
I called the Animal Shelter and I hope they call back soon. He needs a home were he has land to run.

alinzasmommy

Asked by alinzasmommy at 6:25 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Pets

• Sorry but I would get rid of him as hard as that may be.. But if he bit you then odds are he will do it to your daughter as well. A 2 year old doesn't have much meat to them, and can seriously be injured...
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 6:26 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• thanks ali- we are def. getting rid of him. I just hope he gets a good home.
    alinzasmommy

Answer by alinzasmommy at 6:28 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• It's hard when you love an animal to do something like get them a new home. You're doing the right thing of course.

My cat was old and sick when our son was just learning to crawl. DS used to crawl up to our cat and try to touch him. He reached out an swatted him in the face and left a scratch. I freaked out. The next thing I was on the phone making an appointment to get him declawed. The doctor said it was unusual at the advanced age of our cat, but it was either that or have him put to sleep. I knew he couldn't find a home with his illness and age, so that was the only solution.

We got him declawed and four months later he was gone. I don't regret it, but wish he hadn't needed it.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Your welcome, I know that it will be very hard. But sometimes you have to do things in life that you don't want to, but if its for the sake of your family don't be to hard on yourself about it. You can always get another dog when you can get over this one! I am sure that they will find him a great home!! Someone who has plenty of running area, and somebody that doesn't have children! At least you were able to take care of him for a year! Be glad of that!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 6:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• yea. he was a stray so i think we did a good deed of taking him in and caring for him. he has all his shots and has a petfinder chip in him. (in case he was ever to get lost)
    alinzasmommy

Answer by alinzasmommy at 6:45 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I don't mean this cruelly but if you are planning to take him to a shelter, please have him humanely euthanized instead. This is most likely what will happen to him at the shelter, except it will happen after 5 days of sitting in a cold, lonely kennel wondering why his family abandoned him. If he was nipping at you in a playful manner it sounds to me as if he just needs some structure and training.

aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 7:16 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• if your dog bit you, he does not see you as the alfa, your child is for sure not the alfa if you are not, your dog is and he will do it again unless properly trained. And I have worked with an animal behaviorist and the humane society, you really should put him down. There are many dogs out there that need homes, and if you need to get rid of him then it might be the best for him. When he goes into a new home if he gets adopted he will have to establish his role again in that pack. But you can't pass this problem to someone else, its not fair. Even if someone can train him right, you just never know who would get him.
    mulder81605

Answer by mulder81605 at 12:25 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Aurorabunny, you think they should have him put to sleep? He may find a family that has a big back yard and that can love him...at least give him the chance!
    I would never get rid of a pet, I would take him for training....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Have you spent any time on actually training the dog or just hoped that with time that he would learn manners on his own? Dogs need training and strong leadership to lear rules and boundaries and what is acceptable and what is not. It sounds like you just kind of let the dog hang out and do what he wants, and you are now surprised that he bit you. Why not enroll in training and actually work with the dog rather than getting rid of him??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• i have a german shepherd that has never bitten...(though he may bite other people)but i must say i got a golden retriever from a breeder in the woods.he jumped through a window and bite my daughter.she had to go to the hospital and get stitches.we thought that we got him in the best situation.but now we have a shepherd.,she is great.we really have to be firm with her.she is very smart but has never bitten.sometimes i think its the dog. especially if this dog is a stray.sounds like it might have been maybe abused.i watch my shepherd like a hawk she has never attempted to bite my daughter.sometimes its sad to say but it is what it is....sorry
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 12:21 PM on Feb. 27, 2009