Calling the FBI on a family member

A few weeks ago dh and I called the FBI and anonymously reported a family member that we know has been doing some seriously illegal things. In good consience we just couldn't turn our heads and ignore this. The FBI took down all the info we had given them, and of course we do not know what has happened since because we didn't give out names and this family member lives several states away.

Now all of the sudden we are getting phone calls from this family member that we rarely ever speak to. They are threatening saying they know it was us. What should we do at this point? I am sooo scared! Have you ever turned in a family member? Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• Sorry you're going through that. You definitely did the right thing. I'm sorry that they think they know it's you, but I definitely wouldn't let them know that they're right. They probably suspect you since you used to work for the FBI.
    When I was in High school, my brother came to me and told me he'd taken a bunch of money using my mom's atm card and was going to use it to buy a ticket to another state to be with this girl. I told my mom, and she pressed charges. He went to juvenille detention for like 6 months. She says it was the hardest thing she's ever done, so I know it couldn't have been easy for you.
    I'd make sure to keep phone records of when they're calling you, make sure to be safe because they could try to come after you. You should definitely let the FBI know they're on to you and you're afraid of what they might try to do to you (if you are worried that is).
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 12:21 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• I don't know why you would call the FBI instead of the police. But if you did it anonymously then the only thing I can figure is you were the only people who know whatever information you passed along. Get a restraining order. And if he continues calling tell them you will press charges for harassment
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 7:32 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• tell the cops and make reports and record the calls
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 7:32 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• well, i worked for the FBI for several years and depending on why u turned them in there would be diffrent ways to go about it....
    Anonymous

• what were they turned in for?
    Anonymous

• OP Here--

Originally we did call the police and they said what we were calling for would best be handled by the FBI
    Anonymous

• Op-Here again

We turned them in for several counts of Mortage Fraud and smuggling drugs into Miami from Colombia.
    Anonymous

• ok anon 7:35 again, get a small recorder and next time they call record it and the after they hang up call the 24 hr fbi hotline and report it... they will then most likely tap ur lines... hope all is well and take care....
    Anonymous

• I Would Call The FBI Again And Tell Them What Is Going On Now So They Can Protect You
    Kari_Noelle

Answer by Kari_Noelle at 7:54 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• play dumb
    Anonymous