When did you stop working?

I get 12 weeks maternity leave and just stopped working yesterday. I'm scheduled for a c-section next Friday (medical problems that landed me in the hospital last weekend). I feel like such a bum sitting around not working! I know I shouldn't over-exert myself, even though my job is a desk job, and I do feel crappy, but I've worked since I was 15 and feel so selfish staying home for a week and a half with no baby. When did you stop working? Tell me I'm not a bad person!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I worked up until the day I had my baby. I wanted to save all my time for when I actually had a baby in my arms
    Anonymous

• I stopped working a month before my due date. I wanted some time to get things in order, enjoy some peace and rest. Don't feel bad, it is the last rest and quiet you will get for a long time.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 7:39 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• ur not a bad person i stopped worken the day we found out i was preggo...( hubby made me ) but just kick back and enjoy this time in a week u wont have that luxury at all
    Anonymous

• With my first i got laid off work in december and she came Jan 30th.. so about 6 weeks.. but i was getting paid.. this time im due in July and its the busy time of year around here...I plan on working till the last second.. Ill take time off and nto get paid this time.. good luck..and your not a bad person.. everyone is different...:)
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 7:43 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• You are not a bad person! It's only a week and a 1/2...look at it like a short vacation before the baby arrives :) I stopped working when I was 5 months pregnant.
    Kimpossible

Answer by Kimpossible at 7:44 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• ur not a bad person! ur being a great mom doing wuts right for ur child! i stopped working when i found out i was preggo (i was high risk) and i stayed away permanently (for now) because my fiance doesnt like the whole idea of someone else raising our children (not that i feel that way thats just him- i would love to go back to work and actually have a grown up discussion! lol) but anyways thats wut works for us and i love being able to stay home with my little ones!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 7:55 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I stopped at 7 months. What with eating well, exercising, getting the hour-long midday nap and 10 hours of sleep at night, and reading up on taking care of a newborn, I was VERY busy.

Is it REALLY not possible to take more time off?? Your baby NEEDS your body to get plenty of relaxation - after all, in the last 2 months the inner work is so intense that 15 minutes of walking is equal to an hour for a not-pregnant woman. So you can imagine how a relentless workday is going to tax your body and deprive your baby of nourishment. then after the birth, there is the incredible changeover from huge circulation for the uterus to major circulation for milk production. This also requires a lot of relaxation. It's usually 3 months to get things sorted out with a newborn. So don't give in to other non-mother demands. Your baby is counting on you. After all, you are creating his/her health for the REST OF HER LIFE !

waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 8:04 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• With my first child I stopped working at 7 months and it is almost 4 years later and I still am not working I decided to stay home with my baby. You are not a bad person for not working
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:39 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• June 15, 2007 was my last day of work outside the home. I was 4 months pregnant with my first child.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Thanks, ladies. I think I'm just sort of brainwashed into feeling that I need to work, work, work, if I am at all physically able. I am a really hyper person, so it's hard for me to stay home, but I know that I need to rest up, plus, I'm already have some signs of early labor, and the last thing I want is to be at work through that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Feb. 27, 2009