More Labor & Delivery Questions...Sorry Ladies I just can't help it

Is it true that giving birth is a near "DEATH" experience? Someone told me that today and in my head I'm thinking isn't that kind of "harsh"? Also Natural vs. Medicated Births Which do you prefer and WHY? Thanks for your input!!!!!

MiMiBreezy

Asked by MiMiBreezy at 7:43 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm 39 weeks and freaking out in case u were wondering
    MiMiBreezy

Answer by MiMiBreezy at 7:43 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I would not consider it a near death experience, that sounds a littel dramatic to me.
    JMO...I would reccomend natural birth. It is easier to recover from and what a great accomplishment. But I also believe that you should go into it open minded. Don't be set on either and figure out what works for you in the moment. I wanted a natural birth, but was still open to medication. In the end, I stuck it out and was very happy with my decision.
    Don't worry about it, it is temporary pain and you get the best gift for it!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 7:45 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• ok well i dont know about that whole near death part but i prefer natural.... i was only going to have an iv with floods and when i got there i had my son 5 min later so i didnt even have that... i picked that was so they wouldnt have to use clamps or anything to get the baby out... everyone know whats best for them and there baby and thats what was best for us
    Anonymous

• I would only think it near death by meaning it changes your life and such. Not pain-wise. I had a natural birth and I would say that it was awesome and I am looking forward to another one in April. I love that it is the safest for the baby, I am fully aware of what my body is doing, and if I am not hooked up to meds, I don't have to worry about any side effects. Your body will produce natural hormones that counter the pain, you just can't fight it. Don't put your body into "fight or flight mode."
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 7:46 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Unless there are some serious problems going on - then no, it's nothing like a death experience - it's a natural part of being female, and it's a wonderful thing.

For me, I had a 12 hour drug free natural labor - and it was very very painful - I won't lie, but I wouldn't do it any other way.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 7:47 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Umm, NO. Birth is not a near death experience lol. Birth is a wonderful experience and doesn't even have to hurt.

Natural is safer. There is no argument about that. Ultimately you will make your own choice, but you should do some research on your options. Ina May's Guide to Childbirth is a great book to start researching your options for birth. :)

I had an unnatural birth with my daughter, because my doc convinced me I needed to be induced and I hated it. :/ The parts that were drug free were great, but when my doc broke my water (without informing me) it got bad and I succumbed to half a dose of nubain. So 30 min of my 11 hour labor was drugged. The feeling of pushing, and crowning, were so empowering. It was amazing!

This baby will be born at home, with zero medication etc. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:47 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I don't know about that, that seems very dramatic. As someone who is about to pop, I've heard all kinds of crazy/stupid/dramatic things about pregnancy/labor. Some women just love to scare the daylights out of you! What's funny is that most of the women who have said these things are much older (in their 60's) and I'll tell you, things are very different now. Just ignore this kind of drama, it will only upset you!
    Anonymous

• well for me it was i almost died giving birth, but i still would consider it near death... and natral because in the long run it is better for u to recover from
    Anonymous

• i think i actually did hear that giving birth is the closest a woman will come to dying (until they die lol) but it probably stemmed from the same source, it doesnt make it true :]
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 7:49 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Near death? No way! I have had unnatural and nurtural birth. 2 c-section and 3 vaginals. My natural vaginal birth(my fifth) was the best. No drugs, IVs, interventions, nothing. It was wonderful and my baby was the healthiest at birth of all my kids.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:51 PM on Feb. 26, 2009