I need advice with my 6 yo son that is acting out and not listening in school?

Last year he had some up and downs to in kindergarden, but this yr it has gotten worse. For awhile he is amazing straight A's and he is in the second grade reading level. But now I am getting calls everyday saying that hes not listening that he dont want to do his work that hes bored and he hates school. He says his teachers are mean to him. Hes nice to all his classmates and friends with every kid he meets. So I dont know where this is coming from. The principal even suspended him for one day because he thru a temper tantrum in school and in his eyes he just thought cool I get to stay home I dont have to go to school. I think they were out of line for doing that to my 6 yr old. Any advice you can give me to help teach him to listen and to teach him to enjoy school and respect his elders. He was a perfect angel both years in preschool. I love my son I just want the best for him.

iluvmyNTH

Asked by iluvmyNTH at 7:43 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If you say he was making staight A's, maybe he's just bored in class. Find out if he's getting through with his work before the other kids, then acting out. If so maybe he 's not getting challanged enough in class and might need to be in gifted classes if they do that at his school. Kids love to be challenged, he might not want to do the work because he already knows how. Maybe this will help. Good luck.
    m_allen

Answer by m_allen at 9:50 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My son is the exact same way, so if anyone has advice, I am sure that we can all share it.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 9:54 AM on Feb. 27, 2009