my newborn has eaten every hour for 3 hours now and will scream if I don't feed her is this ok should i just feed her whenever she appears hungry no matter how long it has been

Kennedysmom210

Asked by Kennedysmom210 at 7:59 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• oh yeah, i guess i never understood why pple put kids/babies on feeding schedules anyway, unless of course directed by a doctor.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• It depends on your parenting style...
    Feed on a strict schedule only
    or
    Feed when the infant is hungry.
    Your choice. I chose to demand feed and let my infant decide when she was hungry.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Yes, babies should be nursed om demand as often as they want. My DD would seriously eat 18-20 hours per day and she is now a very healthy 13 month old.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 8:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• ok i was just worried that i wasn't producing enough milk but i see her swallowing and it leaks out when she pulls off
    Kennedysmom210

Answer by Kennedysmom210 at 8:02 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• oh, the milk produces constantly, no need to wait for it to produce, you will be ok
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:04 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• your baby may be cluster feeding to promote your milk production to increase. She will do this several times over the next year... your milk is based on a supply and demand principle (the more she demands, the more you will produce). This is all part of the joys of breastfeeding :D. And yes, there will be times that it feels like you arent producing anything, but that is normal too... she is simply getting your body geared up for her next growth spurt.
    Sheacat

Answer by Sheacat at 8:16 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I was told to feed on demand. but not to let them gp past 4 hours. Sounds like you are doing great! :)
    Jadyn09

Answer by Jadyn09 at 8:23 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Yup, all great advice, baby is just fine and you're doing great!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:13 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Yes, keep feeding her on demand, even if it is every hour. This is the best way to establish a good full milk supply. Keep up the good work!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:41 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• toss the schedules and feed your baby on demand!!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 9:58 PM on Feb. 26, 2009