gestational diabeties???

sorry if i spelled that wrong but have any of you ladies ever have this? did you ever have symtons early in pregnancy? because i got very huge with my son and retained a lot of water well i am only 6 weeks and i have been waking up feeling VERY swollen and i all i drink is water i feel dehidrated all day and i go threw so many bottles of water a day do you think this might be a sign of this???? thank you!!!

Reneemommy

Asked by Reneemommy at 8:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Do you use salt in your diet at all? It helps distribute the water correctly. At 6 weeks its hard to say about GD. Do you have any history of diabetes in your family?
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 8:07 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I had it, but did not have any signs. I am not sure there are signs like with regular diabetes. If you are concerned that you should be watching your sugar intake. You doctor won't automatically check you until about 20 weeks, so if you are concerned then I would request a blood test before then.
    If you do get diagnosed, don't worry. It is just a pregnancy thing and will go away once you deliver. You will just need to monitor your diet and sugar levels. But you can still eat everything, just in moderation.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 8:08 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I had gestational diabetes with both of my kids. 6 weeks is early to know if you are or are not. But you could be showing signs.

I did have a lot of fluid retention, my ankles were huge! And I was always hungry and thirsty.

So yes those are signs, but they can be attributed to a nomal pregnancy as well.
    Mention it to your Dr. and they may do some earlier testing on you to be sure.
    Anonymous

• yes i have it in my family my aunt had it but i just dont know what to do about this i feel miserable and i havent even started the pregnancy yet is there any tips on how to feel better?? thanks
    Reneemommy

Answer by Reneemommy at 8:13 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Salt your food to taste... it helps with water retention and blood pressure. That is all I know really... sorry. I don't have any experience with it myself.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 8:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Is it possible you had diabetes pre pregnancy? I have GD now and the symptoms aren't the same as with regular diabetes...
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 8:23 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• i had it with my son they dinosed me around 20 weeks, i had to moniter my blood and sugar leval and draw blood 3x's a day, also i had to watch what i ate so i could have a 1/2 a bagal with cream cheese or a whole bagel with no cream cheese 1cup of ceral and like 5 chips, in the end i was hungry lol. less butter and salt, modration. if your worried talk to your doc and im sure when they asked you what runs in your family you told them the best u could it runs in my family so they knew to watch me and moniter me and i had a food journal so they could see what i ate and how much and we all went from there.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:32 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• You could have GD, I had it at 10 weeks with my first. If you are worried mention it to your doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Feb. 27, 2009