Why is it that conservatives don't want their tax dollars to go towards helping those in need, yet they claim to be the party of faith?

Liberals want to help the needy and yet they have the reputation of being the "Godless" party. Isn't it more Christian to want to help the hungry? Without Judgements? Jesus took meals with prostitutes and all kinds of sinners. He laid his hands on lepers when no one else would dare do such a thing. Then he instructed his followers to care for his people as he has. SO why aren't you willing to part with some of your precious dollars to provide health insurance and/or food for a needy family? It is a shame and a scandal that there are children going to school hungry in this country, yet conservatives say they don't want to lend a helping hand. How is that Christian behavior??

beckcorc

Asked by beckcorc at 8:54 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am so sick of conservatives perpetuating the myth that Americans who need assistance are lazy people who choose not to work. For every person who chooses not to work there are 100 who are working 60, 70, or 80 hours a week at low paying, service sector jobs. If my taxes can help a hard-working family who are still in need because they have low-paying jobs, I am glad I can help them.
    momofthree61

Answer by momofthree61 at 3:26 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• The bible says God helps those who help themselves. Schools have breakfast programs paid for by taxpayers just like they have free lunches. The only kids who need to go to classes hungry are the ones with mothers too damn lazy or too hungover to get up and get them off to school in time for the free breakfast. Same with all the other entitlement programs in place. There is even free daycare, free sports programs and free everything else for "poor" kids, including state of the art health care at the local hospital emergency room every time they have a sniffle.
    Anonymous

• This is a BS question. We want to help those who NEED. We are tired of supporting those who don't feel like doing a dang thing....

case and point.....Katrina people still in Hotel rooms. I live on the gulf coast and rode through Katrina...THREE YEARS AGO.....The MS people got up and took care of themselves, and so did many from NO..but we are STILL paying some hotel bills...and Obama just extended it AGAIN.  That's ridiculous!

and that kind of abuse is what we are tired of!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:59 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• amen sister!!!! I have thought this for quite some time.....the judgmental people I have known and listen to in these forums are often the first to quote from the Bible. I have never understood it.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 9:03 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

* And what about the people who do everything that they can to make thier sitiuation better but make literaly $100.00 over the limit to quailfy for those programs??? what are they supposed to do??

Anonymous

• We are a party of faith but a party of freedom guided by faith is more specific.

They will be some of the most generous people you will ever meet, however, we want the FREEDOM to chooose WHO we take care of. There are too many lazy and undeserving people abusing the system, I don't want my money going towards that.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 9:04 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Anon 9:45

Make due, reuse, do without. That's what they're supposed to do and that's what we've done in tough times too.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 9:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Please! Jesus didn't say to care for only the ones that you decide deserve it! How do you decide who is lazy and who is honestly in need? God helps those who help themselves? Seriously? The Bible also says to "care for the least of my people." I don't know what they talk about in your Church, but I can tell which of those two messages is more prominent where go to Church.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:08 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Sorry, praying...I didn't realize your Bible gave you the option to choose. Does it say that? Does it say 'help only the ones YOU deem worthy'? Because I'm pretty sure what it actually says is 'Whoever helps the least of their brothers helps me' and I'm pretty sure that Jesus told one of his disciples to sell all his stuff and give it to the poor...not just the people he wanted to give it to. Hypocrisy...they name is religion. LOL!

Anonymous

• This is a loaded question. Being Christian and giving your money to the poor and needy by force are 2 entirely different things. Many people of means give and give to many very fine organizations and charities. Have fund raisers and all kinds of things. Churches also give to the community in ways. But, to EXPECT a person that has a bit of money to just give till it hurts is not really fair or right. By that same token, there are people without money that also give in many ways. They may feed a neighbor or check on the elderly or shop for them or maybe take a neighbor to the dr. Or just visit so a person has someone. Or a lady may be able to care for a neighbors child a few hours a day. Or the man that cuts firewood for someone so they are warm or does repairs. There are lots of ways to give. And Jesus knew that.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 9:23 PM on Feb. 26, 2009