Im a permanent guardian and I am looking for advice and suggestions for support groups and rights. Anyone have any experience doing this?

I became permanent guardian of my cousin, she is 11 years old and her parents abandoned her. I took this on so she would not have to be placed in foster care with strangers. Her parents have dissappeared out of our lives and have skipped out on all responsibility leaving me as the sole provider for her. I don't even know where they are....isn't there a law saying they can't do this? Anyone have any suggestions for me?

sukiwoo

Asked by sukiwoo at 9:11 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Adoption

• i would talk to a family lawyer and get advice on this matter. but you are a good person to take on this responsibility.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:22 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Contact a lawyer. I am not sure what state you are from all state law's differ. However, there should be an abandonment statue that would help.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 6:52 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• tn law says u can adopt if the parent abandon a child with no contact for 6 months some othr states 1 yr. get an attorney, he can put a notice in the paper of the town of their last known whereabouts and if they do or don't show up u can adopt this child GET AN ATTORNEY
    Jolene5

Answer by Jolene5 at 8:34 PM on Feb. 27, 2009