Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Im a permanent guardian and I am looking for advice and suggestions for support groups and rights. Anyone have any experience doing this?

I became permanent guardian of my cousin, she is 11 years old and her parents abandoned her. I took this on so she would not have to be placed in foster care with strangers. Her parents have dissappeared out of our lives and have skipped out on all responsibility leaving me as the sole provider for her. I don't even know where they are....isn't there a law saying they can't do this? Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Answer Question

Asked by sukiwoo at 9:11 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Adoption

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • i would talk to a family lawyer and get advice on this matter. but you are a good person to take on this responsibility.

    Answer by SThompson21 at 9:22 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

  • Contact a lawyer. I am not sure what state you are from all state law's differ. However, there should be an abandonment statue that would help.

    Answer by Kellyjude1 at 6:52 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

  • tn law says u can adopt if the parent abandon a child with no contact for 6 months some othr states 1 yr. get an attorney, he can put a notice in the paper of the town of their last known whereabouts and if they do or don't show up u can adopt this child GET AN ATTORNEY

    Answer by Jolene5 at 8:34 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.