Music at night

Has anyone heard that is it (in some way) a poor thing for development when an infant sleeps at night with light (classical) music on? My daughter has always had music on for the first 1/2 of sleep, then it stopped, but lately, at 7 months, she is having trouble sleeping and seems to be uncomfortable in the crib, moving around constantly to find a better position (she is not hungry, I can confirm), so I started leaving the music on all night and it seems to help settle her when she awakens from her first long period of sleep (4 hours). Anyone see any long term issues with her needing sound all night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• nope. actually they say classical music helps them so that when they're in school they get better grades. that's what i heard about a study anyway. my son doesn't listen to classical, but he listens to nature sounds, he has one of those moving pictures that has the sounds of birds and the waterfall. my dd however, gets classical music on her mobile, but it turns off by itself after about 20 minutes. she doesn't need it every night, but it does help her fall asleep.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:35 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• scratch that. i meant to say she doesnt' need it ALL night. she needs it to help her fall asleep
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• well yeah i also put music in my sons room when he was born when the radio broke he was about 7-8 mnths and he didnt sleep well....he is 8 and has always had to have the radio on real low to sleep reeeaaal good( not that he wouldnt sleep w/o it just slept better with it) i just chose a softer radio station (christian music) i dont see nothing wrong with it........
    RIERIE

Answer by RIERIE at 9:36 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• as long as you are okay with this being something he always needs, then go with it. i always turned the mobile music thing on when i put my daughter to bed, but it turns off pretty quick. if she isn't a sleep by then she will be shortly after.

my bf has to have a fan on for noise when he sleeps....so everyone is different.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:12 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• OMG NO...i have heard the opposit, I heard that babies that listen to classical music are smarter! Just like looking a mobile can make them smarter! My neices listened to it to fall asleep and they are in gifted (smart ones) classes! I dont know if it is the music, but everything i have heard says it makes them smart...so keep on playing mama!!!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 10:21 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• My daughter turned 3 in Dec. and I still play the classical music for naps and all night!!!!!
    Anonymous