Why do liberals think the so called "rich" and/ or Christian conservatives are stingy when...

...“households headed by a conservative gave 30 percent more money to charity in 2000 than liberal families, despite earning less, on average.”????

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

--The single biggest predictor of someone's altruism is religion...America is largely divided between religious givers and secular nongivers, and the former are disproportionately conservative.

-- Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.

-- In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent.

Arthur C. Brooks

"Who Really Cares: The Surprising Truth About Compassionate Conservatism."

Praying

Asked by Praying at 9:34 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Because, if you really do your research, you'll find out that they are giving the money to their church, primarily. That isn't a bad thing, but it's not helping a wide range of people. Often that money goes to help run the church.
    Anonymous

• Your statements are inaccurate. So no I do not believe any of what you wrote. Your premise is wrong. Data actually supports the opposite of what has been written.
    Anonymous

• Hmmm don't know a single church that wont help a non-christian family in need. Therefore I find your point invalid. I trust my church to make sure to help those who REALLY need it more than I can trust this corrupt government. My money should go where I want it in these regards and the government should be taxing me ONLY for matters of international need, common and foreign defense and similar things - NOT social programs.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 9:41 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Anonymous. I have sited a source of a Syracuse proffessor who studied this fact for a decade. You have remained anonymous and offered nothing substantial to the contrary except "I dont' believe it because I don't wanna"
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 9:42 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/03/conservatives_more_liberal_giv.html

Here in case you don't want to read the book - from the Washington Post writer group
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 9:43 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Umm.. My Church uses the money we give to help the community at large. They don't just use the money to polish their organ pipes. It goes to the food bank, the fuel bank, the homeless shelter, and to our Haiti ministry. I am liberal by the way... I give my money, time and I don't mind if the Government wants to offer assistance to those in need. I'm sick of conservatives acting like their the only ones with God or generosity.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:04 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Beck

I want you to understand that I am not saying conservative christians are the only christians OR the only ones who give. Statistically howeve, they give MORE on AVERAGE, this is an average and individuals do varry - I thought that was understood.

My point wasn't "haha we give more" but STOP saying that Christians are hypocrites and stingy and selfish IF they want to help people with their own money instead of the government redistributing wealth for them.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 10:06 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• Take our last election for example.  I believe McCain donated more than Obama and Biden combined (percentage).

If the tax increases go through like Obama wants, I fear there will be less money given to charities, hospitals, performing arts and other good causes.  The government can't force you to be charitable, unless of course we aren't a democracy any longer and become something else.

LOSTMom815

Answer by LOSTMom815 at 10:22 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• LostMom

The government can't force you to be charitable, unless of course we aren't a democracy any longer and become something else.

Hit it on the nose.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 10:25 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• How can a Lib be a Christian?.....................................

Keeps getting stranger and stranger..............hmmm.............that is so out there............
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:33 PM on Feb. 26, 2009