What do I do my son is going thru his terrbile twos

MY son is the center of my world. He is such a great kid ,but I am at a lost for words. He thinks he can do what he wants when he wants. I have been told to be firm and stand my ground and I do. I no longer know what to do. All my friends just look at us like we are bad parents, but we try to keep him in line and we cant. How do I get thru these very trying times ?? Someone please help

StephNDakota

Asked by StephNDakota at 9:37 PM on Feb. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• they never grow out of the terrible twos it gets worse
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 9:39 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• keep a bottle of liquor handy for after he is in bed LOL! I'm kidding (kinda) You have to be patient and just stand your ground. don't worry what other people think of you.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:41 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• it's becaues he's the center of your world, and he knows it. that's why he thinks he's the one in charge. know what i do when my son gets out of line and i've done told him something twice? beat his butt. ok maybe i shouldn't use the word beat. it's more like a pop or 2. First he gets a warning. then he gets a time out. if it happens a third time, he gets a spankin. that normally stops him. he'll be 2 next month and he's actually a good kid, he listens, stays with me at the store...yeah sometimes he tests me, and he thinks it's funny, that's what you expect from a toddler. but the majority of the time, he's great.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:44 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• There's no easy answer except to stay consistant. Sometimes it's easier to decide what he absolutely is not allowed to do, stick with that, and let a few others slide. I'm sure you do this, but giving him choices for things will help him feel more in control.
    About the friend thing- we have several friends that either have no children or have very laid back, easy going children. I have one laid back child, and 2 that are NOT. At first I was embarrased and tried really hard to make the kids be a certain way when my friends are around. Now, not so much. Kids are just all different, my friends got used to it or if they really didn't understand, I will meet them for a 'girls night out' without the kids. It also helped that i found some Moms like me- that understood that kids need to mind but sometimes you just need to let them go wild for a minute so you can BREATHE. Good Luck!
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 9:52 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• stay consistent. pick your battles. letting him have a say in things can help, but if you've made the decision... you have to stick with it.

Try to figure out why he is throwing a tantrum. What might he want to be saying but cant communicate to you? Is he throwing a tantrum because he didnt want to put his shoes on? Or is it because he wanted to hold a toy while you put his shoes on?

This is where you really learn to stay one step ahead of them. Good luck mama! oh.. and that large bottle of liquor for after bedtime might not be such a bad idea. ;)
    -Leann-

Answer by -Leann- at 12:46 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Pray to God that you make it through to see the torturous threes. Seriously though be consistent. Kids don't relate too, Mommy is too tired to deal with that right now. If you don't like a behavior then don't let it happen anywhere at anytime with out consequenses. Eventually they will understand it. My best example is when my youngest son was 4 or 5. We went to the store. He asked for everything and drove me crazy. My daughter who was about 10 at the time looks at him and says. "Haven't you figured this out yet? If you keep asking Mom for something we all get nothing. If you just show her what you like and she has the money she will buy it for you. But, she never gives in to crying and whining and you ruin it for us too." I just stood there in shock. But it is true.
    connietrrll

Answer by connietrrll at 2:34 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Well I agree to just be consistant. I dont know much about two year olds yet my son is 14 months. He threw his first big fit in the restaurant the other night because he was tired. Oh god was i embarrassed.
    Ellen_Ashley

Answer by Ellen_Ashley at 3:23 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• set boundrys and be consistant this will pass eventualy ( and then it will be something eles)!! dont give in and dont give up---ever. if you give in you teach him that if he crys long enough he will get what he wants thus reinforcing the behavior. try to just ignore it altogether until he stops. if hes throwing a fit cause he wants to go outside with out shoes wait until hes done ( dont even look at him). then after it all you can say are you ready to put on your shoes? if you take this approach make sure to encorage good behavior when it happens by saying " wow you put your shoes on without a fit!! thankyou mommy realy likes that!! " some kids really respond to the " catch you being good" and positive discipline. good luck
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 5:54 AM on Feb. 27, 2009

• oh yeah i almost forgot ..........................try not to plan anything around times when you know he will be tired or hungry as that is the hardest time of the day for a 2 yr old. you will only set him up for failure if you are not prepared............keep snacks handy they help alot if you get caught out. and try to be patient if you know its nap time.
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 5:58 AM on Feb. 27, 2009